Stocking suggestions for a 7 gallon tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Endlers are hard water fish which will suffer at hardness 1.4 dH I'm afraid.

Do you have a Maidenhead Aquatics near you? Most of them are now open again. I have seen various Boraras species in the MAs near me over the years. In normal times they will order fish from their list, though they may not be willing at the moment.

Thanks essjay for drawing my attention to this...I previously misread "Endlers" as "Ember" and responded accordingly. Sorry for the confusion.

Endlers need much harder water, agree absolutely.

However, if the OP meant to type embers, that's different :)
I have a shoal of 6 ember tetras and they seem to be very active swimmers for their small size, I do not think they would be all that comfortable in a 7 gallon tank. Now those little boraras look like they would but I have never had any. They are nice and small, Do you think they would be alright in my tetra tank with embers, neon, glo light and red eye tetra?

I have a shoal of 6 ember tetras and they seem to be very active swimmers for their small size, I do not think they would be all that comfortable in a 7 gallon tank. Now those little boraras look like they would but I have never had any. They are nice and small, Do you think they would be alright in my tetra tank with embers, neon, glo light and red eye tetra?

The Red Eye Tetra...what species?

I have my Embers in with my remaining Boraras just because they do seem to enjoy being together. The Boraras is the last of the group acquired several years back. My Embers are very sedate, but then different aquarists' perception of this can vary. I do think the Boraras would be a better fit for the OP.

The Red Eye Tetra...what species?

I have my Embers in with my remaining Boraras just because they do seem to enjoy being together. The Boraras is the last of the group acquired several years back. My Embers are very sedate, but then different aquarists' perception of this can vary. I do think the Boraras would be a better fit for the OP.
Red eye tetra are larger than my other tetras here is a picture, I only have two which are fry that showed up some weeks after I gave their shoal away. My embers do like to sit in their shoal at one end of the tank but I do see them swimming in small groups across to the other side and back of my 55 gallon tank during the day. They seem active until evening then they all sit at the one end of the tank until night.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 52
Red eye tetra are larger than my other tetras here is a picture, I only have two which are fry that showed up some weeks after I gave their shoal away. My embers do like to sit in their shoal at one end of the tank but I do see them swimming in small groups across to the other side and back of my 55 gallon tank during the day. They seem active until evening then they all sit at the one end of the tank until night.

That fish is Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, what used to be called Beacon Tetra when I last had them...another reason why common names often don't help ID fish. Very active, but should not be a problem, but keep an eye on them; with just two they may get stressed and start fin nipping. I know what it is like when you give away a species and then three or whatever weeks later one or two fry turn up. That happened twice with my Black Ruby Barbs, and my Diamond Tetras, and once with my Lemon Tetras. I kept giving them away as I was in the process of downsizing to move last Spring and did not want stragglers that might cause me trouble down the road and I would have no empty tanks to house them if they did.

I would have given they away too once they were big enough but all 17 that I gave away mysteriously died one day :mad: So far they seem to stick together one is 1/2 the size of the other and tags along. I have been watching for fin nipping but both have been good so far.

View attachment 105516View attachment 105517Here’s a close up of the Rasbora. They are full grown at about an inch.. perfect nano fish and bright red when they’re happy. My Nerite snail dwarfs them, lol. They are also quite peaceful and don’t bother the shrimp.
Thank you for posting these pictures, I am really into small fish. I will have to check the LFS and Petco and see what they cost.

Yes, I have seen those in another post awhile back, interesting little fish. I have a 55 gallon tetra tank that I have to use RO water to soften my local hard water. All my other tanks are hard water. Those Rasbora are now on my short list for that tank, I have a shoal of ember tetra (6) which is my favorite small fish and they would fit in nicely.

Yes, I have seen those in another post awhile back, interesting little fish. I have a 55 gallon tetra tank that I have to use RO water to soften my local hard water. All my other tanks are hard water. Those Rasbora are now on my short list for that tank, I have a shoal of ember tetra (6) which is my favorite small fish and they would fit in nicely.

Just have a good sized group, at least 12 of the Boraras species. In such a large tank as a 4-foot, I would aim for 20-30.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back