Stocking Suggestions For A 63 Litre Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

D34DLY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi! I currently have a 42 litre fish tank with 1 male betta fish & 6 galaxy rasboras. However I've seen a fish tank and stand (Juwel Rekord 600) for a mere £30! And so of course I'm going to leap for it, but hey - now Im wondering about the possible fish I can keep. (If I can.) Just to clear it up; I will be moving all the fish in my current tank to the new one (once cycled - of course), and will get rid of my other one due to limited space. So be prepared to check it out on ebay in the next few months ;)

So, any suggestions on possible fish I could keep? Forgetting dividers as I believe knowing me they will end up messy. I have some live plants too (Anacharis, Swords, Vallisneria)

I've thought about having a corydora? Perhaps another algae eater?

My main aim is a wide variety of fish. I would be extremely happy to add 2 more different species? But I know this is pushing it...

What'd you think?

Thank you a bunch!
-D34DLY

cool good luck, yes i would look at Cory's and possible a BN pleco if they can fit in that tank size

cool good luck, yes i would look at Cory's and possible a BN pleco if they can fit in that tank size

Thanks for getting back to me. Would it be possible to keep the following in a planted tank with some caves and hiding spots?:
1x Male Betta
6x Galaxy Rasboras
4x Kuhli Loaches
1x BN Plecos
6x Pygmy Cories

This might be too much, however if it helps I will be getting a Fluval U3/U2

Thoughts or suggestions?

(I must also stress I cant get rid of my Betta as I already have it!)

Ghostknives are cool, nocturnal, but can be sensitive

Silver dollars, they do get big though and are shoal fish

Balloon rams, golden rams etc are really cute

at the top of my head thats what i got hahaha

The male betta might kill some of the fish. Maybe some rummy nose tetra/glowlight tetra but make sure it is in a group of 6 or more, both works fine. Galaxy Rasboras maybe be good but make sure that it dont be so big. Rule of thumb 1 inch of fish for 1gallon of water. I dont really think that Kuhli Loaches will eat flakes, maybe frozen bloodworm works fine and they are most likely active at night so you might not be able to see them eat. I dont really recommend BN Plecos but i will recommend albino aeneus cory cat. It is more active than BN Plecos. Pygmy Cories works fine but you may consider adding cherry shrimp into your tank as Pygmy Cories feeds on them as snacks. Get the tank heavily planted only at the bottom. Good filtration but make sure that the current isnt so strong as it may suck your fish in too. Change your water 1 every 3-4 days about 25-30% if you want to get these fish.
Good Luck!

Ghostknives are cool, nocturnal, but can be sensitive

Silver dollars, they do get big though and are shoal fish

Balloon rams, golden rams etc are really cute

at the top of my head thats what i got hahaha

1) Ghostknives require a minimum or 200-400 litres of water to survive happily. Man you got me excited then... They're such a majestic fish!
2) Balloon rams seem quite boring... Dont know why, but they just seem like the typical goldfish?
3) Silverdollars are not an option. They uproot plants, which is bad as I have some :)

Balloon Rams are a deformed variant of the Blue Ram, they're generally very weak and the higher temperatures required by this species make them unsuitable for quite a few other species of community fish.

The issue I see here is the male Betta, they're notoriously aggressive and best kept on their own, personally I've kept them successfully with lamp eyes and Corydoras, but they all have different temperaments and behave differently. Not only that, Tetras, Rasboras and Barbs are generally unsuitable as they'll nip the fins of the Betta.

Would you be able to get a 5 gal for your betta and use your rekord 600 for a community set up?

Hello D34DLY,
I would wholeheartedly suggest a school of Corydora catfish. They are small, peaceful, and fun to watch. Besides this, there are a huge variety of species to choose from! Coreydoras would make a great addition to your new tank!
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back