Stocking Recommendation to go with Ember Tetras in 9G Fluval Flex

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ogelthorpe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 9G Fluval Flex that I just added 7 ember tetra to. Thinking I might add another couple embers and then looking for other stocking suggestions. Any ideas?

Maybe some shrimp? Honestly, if you were to follow the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, I don't think I would add any more fish after getting more tetras. But shrimp have a very small bioload, and would make good tankmates for the tetras I should think.

I agree, the ember tetra group should be increased, another five for a total of 12. Shoaling fish will be less stressed with the larger number, and since other fish are not going to work due to the tank size, providing more embers will be less of an impact biologically. The shrimp are fine. Floating plants are highly advisable, both for the tetras (shade as in their forest habitat) and the water quality.

If you have a sand substrate, you could include a group of one of the "dwarf" species of Corydoras. But they must have sand.

Pygmy Cory's never hang out on the bottom of the tank and spend their time grazing on the plants mid water. So, gravel is fine for them.

Pygmy Cory's never hang out on the bottom of the tank and spend their time grazing on the plants mid water. So, gravel is fine for them.

My pygmies have apparently read different guidebooks from yours then, since they're frequently found on the substrate just chilling, as wel as sitting on plants and swimming mid-water.
They also filter feed though fine sand, which yours, kept on gravel, are incapable of being able to practice.

Oh look, photos of pygmy cories doing something they "never" do!
DSCF5570.JPG
DSCF8031.JPG
DSCF7999.JPG
DSCF8268 (1).JPG

All Corydoras species feed from the substrate and they filter the substrate in their mouths and expel it via the gills. That is biological fact and there is no value in anyone arguing the opposite because it is false.

In order to provide proper nutritional food for pygmy/dwarf cories, you must use sinking foods that will sit on or in the substrate, and the fish will instinctively feed accordingly.

My last group of Corydoras pygmaeus were in a 10g tank on their own, and at one point I had 30 some cories (from six original fish). When I moved three years ago I moved them into a 29g blackwater tank, and they continued to feed from bug bites and shrimp pellets and frozen daphnia on the sand. When they were not feeding, they generally swam all over the place, browsing every plant leaf (microscopic critters in the biofilm) and hard surface, frequently "resting" on their favourite perch, the sponge filter. I suspect this was because of the food they could find there. Their behaviours were really no different than those of the 40+ larger-sized cories in the larger tank which also spent considerable time on surfaces and plant leaves. But none of these fish can find adequate food without doing what they do in the wild--filter feed from sand or silt substrates.

I agree, the ember tetra group should be increased, another five for a total of 12. Shoaling fish will be less stressed with the larger number, and since other fish are not going to work due to the tank size, providing more embers will be less of an impact biologically. The shrimp are fine. Floating plants are highly advisable, both for the tetras (shade as in their forest habitat) and the water quality.

If you have a sand substrate, you could include a group of one of the "dwarf" species of Corydoras. But they must have sand.
Thanks for this. I do indeed have a fine sand substrate so pygmies would work great. What other “dwarf Cory” species are there? Hasborosus? How many Pygmy Cory or dwarf cories could I have in this setup?

Thanks for this. I do indeed have a fine sand substrate so pygmies would work great. What other “dwarf Cory” species are there? Hasborosus? How many Pygmy Cory or dwarf cories could I have in this setup?

Corydoras pygmaeus and C. habrosus are the two more commonly-seen "dwarf" cory. Either species, for some reason I do not think they work well when mixed, not that there is any aggression or that, but it just didn't look right. And with both species, the more the better so I would say whichever you like, get 12-15 of them.

C. hastatus is very rare these days. I had them in the 1980's but not since.

So 12 embers and 12 or so Pygmy cories. I like that combo - thanks man! This will all work in the 9G flex?

So 12 embers and 12 or so Pygmy cories. I like that combo - thanks man! This will all work in the 9G flex?

Yes. Floating plants, not overfeeding, and weekly water changes of half the tank and no problems.

Most reactions

trending

Back