Stocking question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Aquarist2020

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys Iā€™m setting up a 20 gallon Pacific ocean based saltwater in November. What you think of this stock. Can 2 fire fish goby live with 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp and snails. I might get hermit crabs but thatā€™s not for sure. Thank you

Last edited:
You don't want to mix different species of shrimp because some are angry and will kill other shrimp. In particular, banded coral shrimp are highly territorial and should be kept in a tank without other shrimp. The only exception to this is if you get a bonded pr (1 male & 1 female that have already paired off).

Avoid hermit crabs with fire gobies because the crabs sometimes grab fish at night when the fish is asleep.

-------------
Can you get a bigger tank (maybe something wider and a bit longer)?
eg: 2-3ft long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high?
Generally the bigger the tank, the more options you have for fish and other creatures.

Last edited:
Ok I canā€™t cause I already have the tank but which do you think is better the coral banded or cleaner shrimp

Banded coral shrimp is a type of cleaner shrimp, however they get bigger than most other cleaner shrimp.

There are smaller cleaner shrimp like the red line cleaner (Lysmata amboinensis) and the peppermint shrimp Lysmata wurdemanni) that can be kept in pairs or groups and will be fine with fish. Lysmata cleaner shrimp are probably the best to try.

Periclemenes are another genus of cleaner shrimp. They are smaller and transparent but have specks and spots of colour on their body. Some live in anemones and others live in weed beds. They are pretty cool but hard to find.

Banded coral shrimp is a type of cleaner shrimp, however they get bigger than most other cleaner shrimp.

There are smaller cleaner shrimp like the red line cleaner (Lysmata amboinensis) and the peppermint shrimp Lysmata wurdemanni) that can be kept in pairs or groups and will be fine with fish. Lysmata cleaner shrimp are probably the best to try.

Periclemenes are another genus of cleaner shrimp. They are smaller and transparent but have specks and spots of colour on their body. Some live in anemones and others live in weed beds. They are pretty cool but hard to find.
The biggest reason I wanted the coral banded shrimp is to get rid of bristle worms

Ever cosidered some clownfish? Some people say their to common but I think they are awsome especially if you get some different color morphs.

Ever cosidered some clownfish? Some people say their to common but I think they are awsome especially if you get some different color morphs.
I have considered them and still am. I am just getting ideas right now.

Can I keep 2 clown fish and two fire fish Plus coral banded shrimp and snails.
Sounds good to me as long as you get a male and female firefish to prevent fighting. Same for the clowns, clowns can change genders so get one larger clown and one smaller clown so the larger one will turn female and the smaller one will be male.

Or it would be even better if you could find some clownfish sold as a pair.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back