Stocking Of 600 Litre Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 600 litre rena tank with four parrots, a lemon bristlenose and leopard frog pleco. I'm keen to add some more fish to the tank. would definitely like to put in at least two gold severums and also considering other tankmates such as angels, bolivian rams, electric blue jack dempsey.. i have two external filters (XP3) and I do 20% water change a week....any suggestions how many of those fish I could add in with the four parrots (obviously not all but 6 bolivian rams, or four angels, or one jack dempsey for example)? Also, my sister is keen to keep two of the parrots - so if I let her then how does that change my number and mix of potential additions....any advice appreciated

It all depends on the individual temperaments of the parrots to be honest. SOme of them can be downright nasty when it comes to newcomers.

How big are they ?

How many hiding places are there in the tank for new fish ?

I think Severums, JD's, uaru, green terrors, chocolate cichlids, blue acara, bolivian rams, firemouths, geophagus etc might well work. Angels might, but I think possibly less likely.

So much depends on whether you intend to put potential breeding pairs in there or not.
A spawning pair of large cichlids can be disastrous to the rest of the community, even in a 600 litre. My advice would be to get singletons of new species to avoid that. Except geos, who tend not to be much happier in groups.

Hi, I have a 600 litre rena tank with four parrots, a lemon bristlenose and leopard frog pleco. I'm keen to add some more fish to the tank. would definitely like to put in at least two gold severums and also considering other tankmates such as angels, bolivian rams, electric blue jack dempsey.. i have two external filters (XP3) and I do 20% water change a week....any suggestions how many of those fish I could add in with the four parrots (obviously not all but 6 bolivian rams, or four angels, or one jack dempsey for example)? Also, my sister is keen to keep two of the parrots - so if I let her then how does that change my number and mix of potential additions....any advice appreciated

As Ham said, we really do need some more info.
If you can reply with all the info Ham asked for, we should be able to help you out.

Hi,

thanks for responses and apologies for not getting back with more details sooner - larger events came into play as we're moving home so I decided it would not be practical or fair to add more fish. Also the house we're moving to doesn't really have space for a rena 2 metre tank (unless it goes in the conservatory which I'm 99% sure is not practical as I think it would boil or freeze the fish)....practically I may be looking at a downsize as big as halving the tank volume and the biggest tank that would 'fit' our new place is 1.2m by 0.4m (v current 2m v 0.5m). the parrots are 6 inches each (excluding tail) and very chunky so I'm sure they produce lots of waste - but also conscious of turning space etc in a reduced size tank. they all get on very well as have been brought up together and there are lots of hiding places/line of sight breaks as I have lots of bogwood in the tank. There is one male and two females who tend to take turns breeding with the male and hiding in a cave guarding eggs whilst the male doesn't give the other one a hard time....no cuts, split fins or anything that I can recall to be honest. My male is just 'the man' as he's been with a variety of fish over his 6 years (sevs, convicts, rainbows, swordtails, plecos) and not been aggressive......

big question though - would this new tank be too small for them?

by the way - only three parrots now. my sister kept one as it seemed to have paired off with one of her sevs

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back