JLawson90

Reaction score
would this be ok in a 150L / 40 US Gallon tank

1x black moor
1x fantail
10x zebra danios
1x bristlenose pleco

kept at 21 C / 70 F .. which I believe stays within parameters for all fish

There are some issues here. First goldfish and "tropical" fish should never be combined in an aquarium. The goldfish will be better with no heat; they survived over winter under an ice surface in my pond, even spawning in the Spring.

Zebra danios should absolutely not be kept with black moors; the large eyes and quiet sedate swimming of the black moor is an easy target for active boisterous fish like danios.

Fantails need more space, I believe it is 20 gallons per fish (so you're OK with one fantail and the black moor), but the goldfish experts here can correct this if I'm mixing them up. With the tail, also not good with active danios.

I thought danios were 'temperate' not tropical since they're happy in water as cool as 18C / 65F .. but if they're too boisterous / aggressive then that's another issue altogether, I've just seen them suggested that's all

Is there any other small 'space filling' that would be more appropriate?

I thought danios were 'temperate' not tropical since they're happy in water as cool as 18C / 65F .. but if they're too boisterous / aggressive then that's another issue altogether, I've just seen them suggested that's all

The temperate bit is true; I was using "tropical" in quotation marks as referring generally to all such fish.

There is a lot of information online that is inaccurate to say the least, unfortunately, as it makes it more difficult for hobbyists to learn the accurate. Goldfish and "tropical" fish just do not belong together.

Is there any other small 'space filling' that would be more appropriate?

Given the size of the goldfish here, and their adequate space concerning water, and the fact that they produce a lot of waste and thus have a much higher impact per mass than most tropical species, I would consider the goldfish as filling this tank.

That's why I thought it best to double check here!

Just like I've read that they require 20 gallons for the first fish, then an additional 10 per fish

So my thought process was.. 20 gal black moor, 10 gal fantail, 10 gal smaller fish

That's why I thought it best to double check here!

Just like I've read that they require 20 gallons for the first fish, then an additional 10 per fish

So my thought process was.. 20 gal black moor, 10 gal fantail, 10 gal smaller fish

I think you meant fantail 20g...and you could get two or three black moors perhaps, up to you. If any of the goldfish expert members say different, I won't argue, I'm only going from memory.

sorry I meant, an additional 10g of the tank for the fantail, like I was allocating the space in the tank if that makes sense? .. do fantails require more space than black moors?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back