Stocking in a potential 20 gallon Walstad tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Newbiesunite

Reaction score
Hello, I am wanting to start a 20 gallon standard walstad tank with the goal of only very rarely doing water changes. I would have to only use bottled water because too high of nitrate levels in my well water. I think it was 40-60ppm with very hard water. (We donā€™t drink it either). I donā€™t know what would be ok for stocking. I am thinking one honey gourami, 6 Pygmy corydoras, 6 ember tetras, 6 gold tetras, 6 chili Rasboras or green eyed rasboras, an amano shrimp, possibly a few cherry shrimp, and some kind of snails. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s way to much of a bio load. Iā€™ve had a heated, filtered, planted 5.5 gallon tank using Crystal Geyser bottled water running for about 5 months with good parameters, but my betta recently died after I transported him to treat stubborn fin rot (I think it was to much for him after trying many treatments.) So, I am still fairly new to the hobby. Thanks!

To know more about good stocking options, it would help everyone dearly if you could post your water parameters, as well as how you plan to scape the tank.
Personally, the number of pygmy corydoras could be bumped up to more than 10, same for your other shoaling fish listed. Also, maybe do a little research about the compatibility of the honey gourami with the cherry shrimp, as it would be unfortunate if they were eaten.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Assuming you definitely will use some form of "pure" water, be it bottled, or distilled or Reverse Osmosis...you still need weekly water changes. I know Diana's views on this, I have her book and articles and am a member of her site, but with respect to her it is a bit misleading. She states that stocking must be significantly below "normal" expectations if one is to go with no or fewer water changes and a soil substrate. And larger tanks are more likely to work than smaller. The fish species mentioned in post #1 will not work without larger numbers for the shoaling fish and all but the gourami are, needing in the 12+ range for each species.

I see you joined TFF today, so I have no idea how much research you have put into this method, but there are some serious issues to get around. Most recommend a "dry" start, and not adding any fish for up to six months. The initial ammonia explosion is why, and it takes time for the biological system to settle and establish. Given that as Diana herself admits, after about a year any benefit from using soil is no longer applicable, the process seems labour-intensive for no reward, so to speak. An inert sand substrate will be as enriched by that time, and not need replacing for years if the tank is balanced. Also, fish like cories should never be over anything but fine sand; the pygmy species digs less, that is true, but the bacterial issues involved with soil substrates are very risky.

For your case I would just put a bunch of live plants in there to keep everything good if you're not planning to do a lot of water changes. And also get a good filter that will turn the water volume about 3x the tank size.

To know more about good stocking options, it would help everyone dearly if you could post your water parameters, as well as how you plan to scape the tank.
Personally, the number of pygmy corydoras could be bumped up to more than 10, same for your other shoaling fish listed. Also, maybe do a little research about the compatibility of the honey gourami with the cherry shrimp, as it would be unfortunate if they were eaten.
Oh you are right I totally overlooked about the cherry shrimp and gourami. Iā€™m still in the beginning stages of research and planning.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Assuming you definitely will use some form of "pure" water, be it bottled, or distilled or Reverse Osmosis...you still need weekly water changes. I know Diana's views on this, I have her book and articles and am a member of her site, but with respect to her it is a bit misleading. She states that stocking must be significantly below "normal" expectations if one is to go with no or fewer water changes and a soil substrate. And larger tanks are more likely to work than smaller. The fish species mentioned in post #1 will not work without larger numbers for the shoaling fish and all but the gourami are, needing in the 12+ range for each species.

I see you joined TFF today, so I have no idea how much research you have put into this method, but there are some serious issues to get around. Most recommend a "dry" start, and not adding any fish for up to six months. The initial ammonia explosion is why, and it takes time for the biological system to settle and establish. Given that as Diana herself admits, after about a year any benefit from using soil is no longer applicable, the process seems labour-intensive for no reward, so to speak. An inert sand substrate will be as enriched by that time, and not need replacing for years if the tank is balanced. Also, fish like cories should never be over anything but fine sand; the pygmy species digs less, that is true, but the bacterial issues involved with soil substrates are very risky.
Thank you for the support. I have looked at mostly lots YouTube videos to be honest. It was wishful thinking to be able to have lots of species, but with the amount of each needed I see now that itā€™s problematic. If my main goal is to have a set up that requires minimal water changes what would that look like in this instance? Itā€™s just not practical to for me to be changing water so often because I can only use bottled water.

For your case I would just put a bunch of live plants in there to keep everything good if you're not planning to do a lot of water changes. And also get a good filter that will turn the water volume about 3x the tank size.
Yes, I think that your right about having a good filter. Itā€™s probably what I will have to end up doing to avoid frequent water changes. Thanks

If I did this, and I'll underline that I've been an aquarist for over 50 years and many set ups, I would limit myself to a maximum of 8-10 small fish, total. Not species. Individual fish the size of an ember, a Bororas or a pygmy Cory. There is a reason why life support tech is bought. You are talking walstad but thinking overstocked tech tank.

@Newbiesunite please read my article on the importance of water changes, I think you will then have a better understanding of what is involved here.

If you want healthy fish, you have to be prepared to provide what they need. Plants help, especially surface plants. But weekly water changes are needed, they do not need to be massive, but it depends upon the fish that will be in this tank. The species @GaryE mentioned are what this tank will support, provided there are good plants and some water changes.

If you have soil, this is going to be problematic as I earlier said. I really would not go this route in this small a tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back