Stocking ideas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jadzir

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Have been thinking long and hard about how I want my tank to look when complete.
Going to use a sand substrate with manzanita wood and rock to create caves etc.
Planning to add some plants but not sure which ones yet.
300 litre tank . Have soft water with a ph of 7.
Looking to have corys , amano shrimp and diamond teras.
What numbers of each would you recomend for my tank size ?
Thanks

You could easily put as much as you want in there. Get a huge school of corries, make sure to get 6 of every kind otherwise they won't school together. You have a lot of options when it comes to stocking. What other fish would you add?

If I go with a group of 10 cory (same species) and 10 amano shrimp what number of the diamond tetras would you recomend ?

If I go with a group of 10 cory (same species) and 10 amano shrimp what number of the diamond tetras would you recomend ?
some website says 5 or more, it would be cool to have a school of like 10...

Want to have a fairly large school but obviously not overstock.
Would like 15-20 but not sure if that would be too many for the tank.

Want to have a fairly large school but obviously not overstock.
Would like 15-20 but not sure if that would be too many for the tank.
idk either, they grow to 2.4 inches, that would be lovely

Love how active they are and the way the light hits them.
Will sit and do some basic stock calculations to get a better idea of numbers.

Assuming the tank is 48 inches (120 cm) in length (this is more important than volume), a group of 10-12 Congo Tetra is absolute minimum. And a equal mix of male/female, five or six of each, will give you some wonderful entertainment as the males are very social when settled, and love to do relay races in pairs, sometimes three joining the race.

Build around the Congo. You do not want any smallish fish that might be tempted to nip those incredible caudal and dorsal fin extensions, and you would be surprised at some of the "peaceful" tetras or such that will. So select tankmates carefully; there are many suited, but a few never.

Cories...the more the better. In that sized tank, if you like cories (presumably you do) a total group of no less than 15-20, up to 30 is best for the cories. Believe me, they are always healthier the more there are. Several of each species is best if you can, as some seem to prefer their own but most will chum around with other species regardless.

Most reactions

trending

Back