Stocking Ideas / Opinions And Suggestions?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Doomchibi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I apologize for my long posts, I've gotten complaints about not using paragraphs before (not here) so I am a little paranoid and space things out a lot, and I also ramble a bit. Sorry! 

After finally accepting that I couldn't have the Boesemani Rainbowfish I adore for another tank, i've started planning out another one to be able to include them. I am not completely sure on the size tank I am going to be getting, but it would be at least 75 gallons to start, but possibly a 90 if I can get ahold of one. Let me know if you think I need a larger tank. One question on those.. What is their ideal PH range? I read 6.4-6.8 at one place, and then the normal 6-8 on some others, and yet one more mentioned they naturally live in water in excess of 8.0...?

Right now what I am definitely planning on are..

6-7x Boesemani Rainbowfish
1x Pearl Gourami

I have been reading a lot about some other possibilities to keep with those two types and I have come across Cherry Barbs, which I also think would be a good match. I have read some different information about how many to get, though. I have heard that you should keep them in pairs (ideally 4) but I have also heard that they should be kept as normal schooling fish (6 or more). I was planning on the 4 until I read this, so unless someone can clear that up I would plan on 6 to be on the safe side.

If anyone knows anything about normal Dojo Loaches (Weather Loaches, not Golden Dojo Loaches), Do they need to be in groups? I was looking at them and I was thinking one might be a good addition but I was looking at Aq Advisor and it came up with a little notification that they needed to be in groups of 3.. I had never heard of this before, so if anyone knows anything about this it would be a lot of help.
smile.png
I am hearing a lot of different answers on their ideal temperature, but I am wondering if they do not like warmer water like my other ideas do? It seems the maximum for these is 75F but I would like to know for sure.

Now... I'm probably going to get a big fat NO from everybody but i'm stubborn so I won't settle until I hear it. What about Pictus? Specifically Spotted Pictus. I am a little obsessed with everything catfish, and I go crazy over them like a normal person would over kittens. (I highly doubt the cherry barbs would be safe with them so I would look for something larger instead of them if I got the cats) I have been comparing temperatures and ph for everything and they fit in that aspect, and it seems they have a slow growth rate and don't have huge mouths like some other catfish.. Would they be at all compatible with the other fish I have listed, even if they needed to be moved out eventually? I cannot find a simple answer anywhere about their potential size, I have heard everything from 5"-15". If they do get that large, I would save that idea for other tank plans I have (which I have a lot of. MTS; Who, Me? No, never. Don't be ridiculous. 
happy.png
) I know most people say Pictus aren't a great idea for.. Seemingly any tank, but I don't really see why. If there is something horrible about keeping them, i'd like to know what it is. Also.. does anyone know what the best number to keep them in is? I have heard both solitary and small schools.. I have heard 3 a few times so that is what I put down. Even if I end up not getting them for this tank, i'd like to know for future ones.

So my two stock ideas are...
1x Pearl Gourami
6x Cherry Barbs
1-3x (?) Weather Loach(es)
1x Possibly some type of pleco, other ideas welcome

Or...
#2     (If I went with this, I would go with a larger tank - at least 125 gallons if I was keeping the pictus in it)
1x Pearl Gourami
1-3x (?) Weather Loach(es)
3x Pictus Catfish
Possibly 6x Giant Danio or other larger schooling fish.. May not add another school, and if the loaches need to be in groups of 3 i'd rather not have another school. I still like the idea of a pleco but I am not sure it would be great to mix one with the bottom dwelling catfish.

***If you have an idea of what size the pictus could grow to while still being safe with these fish, I could move them to another tank as they reached that size. 

Those are my two jumbled plans, and I am looking for any suggestions and information you may have about what I have listed so far. Thanks!

Okay, from what I am understanding.. The spotted pictus I mentioned only grows to about an average of 5" or a little less, so my main question for that is would they be safe to keep with Boesemani Rainbowfish, Pearl Gourami and Weather Loach(es)? The first two grow to about 4", the gourami maybe a bit more so I am thinking they should be safe in that sense. I have other questions in the post above about numbers and and such though, but since I seem to have gotten my answer on the size they seem like not so bad of an idea now. 

I was at my LFS yesterday and walking by some tanks when I glanced over and thought.. "Wow! Those are some HUGE cherry barbs!" and then I realized they looked a little odd so I found the tag and they were actually Neon Rosy Barbs, which I had never heard of before. These get up to 6" compared to the 1.5-2" of the cherry barbs and look similar enough to me that I think i'll go with a school of them so I can give the smaller pictus a try. I still am not sure about the numbers for the loaches so i'll have to do more research before I actually start planning for the tank, but i'm comfortable with a good portion of the stocking so far. I may not get many responses on these posts but if you have any suggestions at all i'd love to hear them.

Bah.... The one thing I didn't notice about the rosy barbs is that they prefer colder water and the warmer water my other fish want would stress them out. Since the weather loaches don't do as well in warm water either, i'm going to hold off on those two.. Which pretty much brings me back to square one. Hooray!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back