Stocking Ideas for two tanks (18 litres and 25 litres)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fledling_Fry

Reaction score
Good Day all. I currently possess two tanks, one of which is fully cycled while the other has just begun the process. The 25L has finished its cycle, and now comes the time to stock it, while also planning what to do with the 18L. I was wondering what kinds of fish I could get in both? I understand I have limited options due to the size of the tanks, but they're the ones I have available with the amount of space I have. There's conflicting information across the web, so I was hoping to get some better information before sticking a pea puffer in a teaspoon of water and calling it a day.

The tanks:
Both tanks are moderately planted and both are freshwater. The 18L has some grass mats and a larger plant (can't remember the name, i'd have to go check). The 25L has grass mats and numerous bunched plants, alongside some standard pet store decorations for hides, with an upper shelf made of driftwood. Both have filters (the one in the 25L has adjustable flow) and both have adjustable heaters, as well as lights. The 25L also has an airstone/secondary filter available if needed.

I can't recommend any fish for these tanks unfortunately. Possibly just neocaridina shrimp. Could have a tank of red, a tank of blue, and then a tank of yellow? Not sure, but again I wouldn't really say any of those tanks are suitable for fish.

What are the dimensions of the tanks? Pictures might also be helpful.

Hello :)
None fish in 18 litre, only dwarf shrimps.
In 25 litre, you can house 1 single Betta or 1 pair of certain Killifish.

Sorry for the late response. I've gotten a male betta for the 25 litre and the other is still cycling. Turns out that the 18 is actually a 19, thought I know it doesn't change much. Looks like I'll be going for some shrimp on the weekend. Thank you all for the advice.

Sorry for the late response. I've gotten a male betta for the 25 litre and the other is still cycling. Turns out that the 18 is actually a 19, thought I know it doesn't change much. Looks like I'll be going for some shrimp on the weekend. Thank you all for the advice.
You're welcome. Some shrimps are beautifully coloured :)
Also keep in mind Betta needs 25°C, pH7 GH and KH below 9 and obviously no ammonia nitrite nitrate. Do minimum 25% weekly waterchange at the same temp. as aquarium water.

You're welcome. Some shrimps are beautifully coloured :)
Also keep in mind Betta needs 25°C, pH7 GH and KH below 9 and obviously no ammonia nitrite nitrate. Do minimum 25% weekly waterchange at the same temp. as aquarium water.
Had him almost a week now. His tank temp is 25 and I'm checking his tank conditions every few days since I know spikes can happen after adding fish.

Er... didn't you cycle your tank before adding the Betta ???

I did. Do the spikes not occur? Was that only while cycling? I'm a bit confused 😓

But yes, I cycled my tank for 4-ish weeks using mature filter media from another tank.

I did. Do the spikes not occur? Was that only while cycling? I'm a bit confused 😓
Ammonia is the 1st step of cycle. Then comes nitrites, afterward nitrates, finishing with gaseous nitrogen.
If the tank is badly maintained, other strikes can happen.

But yes, I cycled my tank for 4-ish weeks using mature filter media from another tank.
So one can think cycle has ended.
Now you have to do minimum 25% weekly waterchange at the same temp. as aquarium water.

How do you feed him ?

Can you post overall view pictures ?

ah, i see. I thought spikes could occur after the fish were added. It seems like I got a bit confused.

Yes, the cycle was finished for almost a week (finished after week 3), but I left it an extra week. Did my first water chance the other day.

He has bug bites, frozen food and gel food. I've only had him a few days, but i've been doing 2 pellets in the morning, 2 in the evening, and one day replaced his evening food with some gel.

It's late now so my tank lights are off, but I can send one later. I think we've gotten a bit off topic though as I believe I know how to look after my fish (won't claim to be an expert though).

No worries ;)
4 pellets a day is little. You should gradually increase pellets up to 4 morning + 4 evening, favouring OmegaOne Betta Buffet or Atison's Betta Pro even switch between these 2 very good brands. You can also give him frozen bloodworms/tubifex, or icing on the cake, live daphnias, artemias, vinegar eels....

Last edited:
Just to make it clear -
With fish-in cycle, there will be spikes, and quite long lasting spikes, as there are no bacteria when the fish are added.
With fishless cycling, all the bacteria are grown before the fish are added so there should be no spikes. They mainly occur if too many fish are added and not enough ammonia used for cycling (eg when using food to make ammonia); or if the cycle wasn't actually completed when fish are added.

I should have said that fish-in cycle is, according to me, unnecessarilly putting fish lives in danger.

Just to make it clear -
With fish-in cycle, there will be spikes, and quite long lasting spikes, as there are no bacteria when the fish are added.
With fishless cycling, all the bacteria are grown before the fish are added so there should be no spikes. They mainly occur if too many fish are added and not enough ammonia used for cycling (eg when using food to make ammonia); or if the cycle wasn't actually completed when fish are added.
I see, that makes sense. I thought the spikes could still occur even after a full fishless cycle. That makes more sense.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back