Stocking ideas for newbie 40 gal aquarium

Gikfish

Reaction score
While im not a newbie in fishkeeping Ive never before got such a large aquarium(already planted and cycled) and so I dont know many things when it comes to the stocking options I may have... Ive already searched online for stocking ideas but I didnt see any mention of the 2 species I definetly want to have in: Red platies and harlequin tetras. So if you have any recommendations on what other fish I can keep with them(same size or larger) or the amount of each species I could keep it would be great.

Many thanks in advance for any recommendations!

they cant be kept together, as their ph and hardness is different (naturally) dont trust online sources,
we need your ph, hardness, temp

they cant be kept together, as their ph and hardness is different (naturally) dont trust online sources,
we need your ph, hardness, temp
My ph is 7.0 temp is about 26 degrees celsius and I dont have an exact number on hardness but the water where i live is pretty soft

My ph is 7.0 temp is about 26 degrees celsius and I dont have an exact number on hardness but the water where i live is pretty soft
yeah, tetra/rasbora-betta maybe? sounds cool, get a filter with less flow for betta
high flow is fine for tetras as they school and it looks cool imo

yeah, tetra/rasbora-betta maybe? sounds cool, get a filter with less flow for betta
high flow is fine for tetras as they school and it looks cool imo
That seems like a nice stocking to me! Many thanks!

Stay with soft water fish species, as others are suggesting. Fish that demand harder water, like mollies and all livebearers, will not last long. Tetras, rasbora, most catfish... Avoid a Betta, they are not community fish. Groups of 7, 8, 9 (depending upon fish species size) of each species and assuming smaller sized species, would look nice in a planed aquarium.

Stay with soft water fish species, as others are suggesting. Fish that demand harder water, like mollies and all livebearers, will not last long. Tetras, rasbora, most catfish... Avoid a Betta, they are not community fish. Groups of 7, 8, 9 (depending upon fish species size) of each species and assuming smaller sized species, would look nice in a planed aquarium.
Thanks for your suggestion! Is there any way to harden the water myself though?

Thanks for your suggestion! Is there any way to harden the water myself though?

Yes, but that is entering a realm of issues. First, the soft water fish will be healthiest with soft water, so if you increase the mineral content to what mollies need, you are making life very difficult for the soft water fish. Freshwater fish have evolved to live (= function best) in quite specific water, and for many species there is little if any adaptability. With few exceptions, there is no "middle ground" here. I would suggest you track down the actual GH, and go from there. Your local water supplier might have this data, or a local fish store might do a GH test.

Most reactions

trending

Back