Stocking ideas for discus tank and non discus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Discus_phil

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for posting such a massive post. I canā€™t seem to log onto my
Old account so Iā€™ve re-joined :)

Me and my partner moved house recently, there was a 2 month gap (which turned into 4 with all this COVID business) between rented and buying where we both had to move back to our parents. We had to shut down most of our tanks only keeping the discus tank at a friends who has been a fish keeper for years so they were in good hands...

Anyway, fast forwards weā€™ve moved in and weā€™re beginning to get the tanks set up again, weā€™re awaiting arival of a new 5.5ft tank for the discus. A bit of an upgrade from
The 4ft!
We have had success with cardinals in the discus tank in the past so we bought another 30 cardinal tetra which are currently in a 110l holding tank for quarantine until he new one arrives... or so we thought.

The problem with this is we both love having a cardinal only tank now, the blue and red really pop against the plants and we are now looking at other options for schooling tetra for the discus tank that can tolerate the higher temps,any ideas for some to look into?
Alternatively are there any other colourful tetra or smaller schooling Fish to look At that would look good in the planted 110l?

also, is 30 cardinals in a 110l long term a good idea or not? Iā€™d probably end up adding
A Siamese algae eater and a few ottos to help with any algae... but that would be it.

cheers,

Hi guys, sorry for posting such a massive post. I canā€™t seem to log onto my
Old account so Iā€™ve re-joined :)

Me and my partner moved house recently, there was a 2 month gap (which turned into 4 with all this COVID business) between rented and buying where we both had to move back to our parents. We had to shut down most of our tanks only keeping the discus tank at a friends who has been a fish keeper for years so they were in good hands...

Anyway, fast forwards weā€™ve moved in and weā€™re beginning to get the tanks set up again, weā€™re awaiting arival of a new 5.5ft tank for the discus. A bit of an upgrade from
The 4ft!
We have had success with cardinals in the discus tank in the past so we bought another 30 cardinal tetra which are currently in a 110l holding tank for quarantine until he new one arrives... or so we thought.

The problem with this is we both love having a cardinal only tank now, the blue and red really pop against the plants and we are now looking at other options for schooling tetra for the discus tank that can tolerate the higher temps,any ideas for some to look into?
Alternatively are there any other colourful tetra or smaller schooling Fish to look At that would look good in the planted 110l?

also, is 30 cardinals in a 110l long term a good idea or not? Iā€™d probably end up adding
A Siamese algae eater and a few ottos to help with any algae... but that would be it.

cheers,
Hi! Don't have much to say when it comes to discus tank mates, but don't get siamese algae eaters, they are vicious and get surprisingly big. As for 30 cardinals in a 30 gallon, I'm really not sure, but I think you'd be better off at something around 20 long-term :).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back