Stocking ideas for a fluval flex 57

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It helps us to know the dimensions; if this is the Fluval Flex 57 they are 16″ W x 15″ D x 15″ H (41 x 39 x 39 cm), volume 57 liters (15 gallons). Please confirm or post if incorrect.

Second thing we like to know is the water parameters of your source water. GH and pH especially, KH if you have that too.

OK, with the soft water and the dimensions I cited assumed correct, you should look at nano fish species. The dwarf rasbora species in Boraras, Ember Tetra, etc.

Was thinking 10 emerald dwarf rasbora, 10 chilli rasbora ,6 pygmy corys, cherry shrimp and a nerite snail.

Was thinking 10 emerald dwarf rasbora, 10 chilli rasbora ,6 pygmy corys, cherry shrimp and a nerite snail.

If by emerald dwarf rasbora you mean the species Celestichthys erythromicron they need a basic pH (above 7). More here:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-erythromicron/

I would also up the cories to 8-10. This species always does better the more there are. Didn't mention it previously so in case it was not considered, sand substrate is necessary for these and cooler temperatures, around 75F (24C). The Boraras rasbora will be fine with this. I had a group of 12 Boraras brigittae (thee chilli) and 9 Corydoras pygmaeus in a 10g for a time and they did very well.

If by emerald dwarf rasbora you mean the species Celestichthys erythromicron they need a basic pH (above 7). More here:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-erythromicron/

I would also up the cories to 8-10. This species always does better the more there are. Didn't mention it previously so in case it was not considered, sand substrate is necessary for these and cooler temperatures, around 75F (24C). The Boraras rasbora will be fine with this. I had a group of 12 Boraras brigittae (thee chilli) and 9 Corydoras pygmaeus in a 10g for a time and they did very well.

So would you recommend any other type of rasbora?

So would you recommend any other type of rasbora?

There are some of the small species that could work here. Brevibora dorsiocellata is one I had a while back. These small rasbora are not common where I live, and I have tended to specialize more in South American fish.

Galaxy rasbora be ok?

No. I had considered this species myself but didn't suggest it because of the tank size.

Shy and quiet by nature, and given its minute size, it should have its own aquarium. Dominant males can be quite feisty, even nipping fins of rival males, but kept in a group of 20 or more lessens the damage. The tank should be well planted to break up the line of sight. You could have a group of this species on its own in this tank, but with the other fish I wouldn't advise this species.

Check that the chili rasboras you find really are chili rasboras. In my experience, some shops sell Boraras urophthalmoides as chili rasboras and these are less colourful than B. brigittae. I have also had the slightly larger B. maculatus http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-maculatus/ which are very red.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back