Stocking ideas for a 20 gallon? Overstocked?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Its a 20 high or long? Also what type of filtration?
The bettas will eat the shrimp, maybe not all the bettas-but if half of them eat the shrimp you will have no shrimp.
Go with a clown pleco if you need one in a 20, a BN pleco will produce too much waste. For a 20 with your other stock, I would go no plecos.
TBH there is not enough room for rummys; the rummys are very active and need the space to move, minimum of 36" is preferable. You can go with 10-12 ember tetra, or 6-8 cardinal or glowlight tetras. You can even stay with the Asian theme and use 10-12 hengli or espei rasbora, they are pretty and also active but better suited for a 20 long.

If I was going to have a 20 gallon and wanted bettas I would look for wild bettas that are social and can safely be housed together like imbellis. I have read too many horror stories with multiple betta splendens tank where it did not end well for many of the tank's inhabitants. When male and female bettas are introduced for breeding, it is usually the female that will fight and kill the male if he is not acceptable. I would not include shrimp as bettas eat invertebrates. I would just set up the tank for the bettas; a male and 2-3 females, with lots of leaf litter and some rocks and driftwood, maybe add some kuhli loaches like pangio or oblonga.
It's a 20 long. I've had bettas with shrimp before and no problems and many people have had success as well. I've read up on rummynoses and I've found that a 20 long is suitable for them? I do really like cardinals though, and since they're smaller and less bioload, I'll probably do them instead. Unfortunately, I only have lfs who sell splendens, no imbellises. I've also read that keeping a male with female bettas is a no-go? I don't think that's a smart idea, and I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. But I am confident in my decision to do a betta sorority. Horror stories happen when they haven't done enough research :/

Your gonna be a good fishkeeper if you plan ahead ;). From my experience keeping rummynoses and a betta for 8 months, I have had no issues at all. Occasionally the betta will try to snatch the food from the rummynoses but thats normal. Lately I've noticed that my betta is having trouble finding where the food is. She does still eat though which is the important bit.
Haha, thanks! I'm definitely a planner. Good to know! I always get contradictory answers for things like that. I like hearing from people who have had direct experience, so thanks.

Doesn't sound like you'd be overstocking the tank with what you've got planned. You should see how many fish i have in my 22gal....:blush:
As long as your fish are happy and healthy with good parameters, the number of fish doesn't really matter haha. I'd love to hear what's in it tho!

As long as your fish are happy and healthy with good parameters, the number of fish doesn't really matter haha. I'd love to hear what's in it tho!
22 gallon tall tank

8x panda corys
6x harlequin rasboras
5x red eye balloon tetras
5x kuhli loaches
1x honey gourami
1x german blue ram
2x marbled BNPs
1x royal whiptail catfish
50+ red cherry shrimp

0 amm
0 nitrites
5-10ppm nitrates

I only added the 8 pandas last week but checked the water 2 nights ago and nitrates were still at 5ppm.

22 gallon tall tank

8x panda corys
6x harlequin rasboras
5x red eye balloon tetras
5x kuhli loaches
1x honey gourami
1x german blue ram
2x marbled BNPs
1x royal whiptail catfish
50+ red cherry shrimp

0 amm
0 nitrites
5-10ppm nitrates

I only added the 8 pandas last week but checked the water 2 nights ago and nitrates were still at 5ppm.
That's crazy! That's gotta be magic or something haha. Sounds like a beautiful tank though!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back