Stocking ideas for a 20 gallon? Overstocked?

savannahsuch

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a 20-gallon tank and am thinking of what I'm going to put in it. My current plan may be overstocked, this is what I want:
- 5-6 female bettas (sorority)
- 5 cherry shrimp
- 1 mystery snail
- 1 bristle nose pleco or 1 clown pleco
- 6 rummy nose tetras
I'll have it heavily planted with 30-40% weekly water changes, and biweekly gravel vacuuming. I plan on transferring my current mystery snail into the new tank and I definitely want the bettas. Do you think this is too much bioload despite the water changes/plants? I've seen some people saying these plans are completely fine and others say that it's way too much. Obviously, I wouldn't add them all at once. I'd watch my ammonia and nitrates to make sure there aren't any spikes and that my nitrates stay under 20ppm. What do you think about the bioload? Also, if you'd like to share what you'd do with a 20 gallon, lmk!

This is just my suggestion, don't get the bettas, get a couple of honey gouramis instead. You have a good possibility of some really bad problems with a sorority of female bettas.

I have had tanks with just female bettas in it, and I never had any problems with the girls. And I think what you are planning sounds great.

This is just my suggestion, don't get the bettas, get a couple of honey gouramis instead. You have a good possibility of some really bad problems with a sorority of female bettas.
I'm definitely getting the bettas and I feel confident in that decision. I've read lots about them, and have a lfs who keeps all their female bettas together so I'll be able to pick them based on temperament. You only have a good possibility of having some bad problems if you don't know about keeping a proper sorority. I prefer bettas because their personalities vary so much, and I don't like the look of gouramis much anyway. They're boring to me. Thanks though

I have had tanks with just female bettas in it, and I never had any problems with the girls. And I think what you are planning sounds great.
You don't think the amount of fish I want to keep is too much? Also, how many girls were in your sorority? Sounds pretty!

You don't think the amount of fish I want to keep is too much? Also, how many girls were in your sorority? Sounds pretty!
I had eight female bettas. They were in a tank that had Molly's and Corey's. It was a 29-gallon show and I believe I had a lot more fish than what you are talking about. Just keep a good eye on the parameters of course.

I had eight female bettas. They were in a tank that had Molly's and Corey's. It was a 29-gallon show and I believe I had a lot more fish than what you are talking about. Just keep a good eye on the parameters of course.
Dang I use voice to text. Forgive the horrible spelling.

Doesn't sound like you'd be overstocking the tank with what you've got planned. You should see how many fish i have in my 22gal....:blush:

Rummynose tetras need a 3ft footprint at least. You could get away with a 2.5 foot length but without your dimensions of the tank I'm not sure if you can or can't have them. I have a betta and rummynoses, however I got the rummynoses before I came on this forum and learnt about what fish require what tank size.

Rummynose tetras need a 3ft footprint at least. You could get away with a 2.5 foot length but without your dimensions of the tank I'm not sure if you can or can't have them. I have a betta and rummynoses, however I got the rummynoses before I came on this forum and learnt about what fish require what tank size.
I'm just asking if this tank would be overstocked, I've done my research on each of the fish that I listed that I want so I know what they all need.

It shouldn't be overstocked. But keep an eye out to make sure the bettas don't pester the tetras.

Hi all, I just got a 20-gallon tank and am thinking of what I'm going to put in it. My current plan may be overstocked, this is what I want:
- 5-6 female bettas (sorority)
- 5 cherry shrimp
- 1 mystery snail
- 1 bristle nose pleco or 1 clown pleco
- 6 rummy nose tetras
I'll have it heavily planted with 30-40% weekly water changes, and biweekly gravel vacuuming. I plan on transferring my current mystery snail into the new tank and I definitely want the bettas. Do you think this is too much bioload despite the water changes/plants? I've seen some people saying these plans are completely fine and others say that it's way too much. Obviously, I wouldn't add them all at once. I'd watch my ammonia and nitrates to make sure there aren't any spikes and that my nitrates stay under 20ppm. What do you think about the bioload? Also, if you'd like to share what you'd do with a 20 gallon, lmk!
Its a 20 high or long? Also what type of filtration?
The bettas will eat the shrimp, maybe not all the bettas-but if half of them eat the shrimp you will have no shrimp.
Go with a clown pleco if you need one in a 20, a BN pleco will produce too much waste. For a 20 with your other stock, I would go no plecos.
TBH there is not enough room for rummys; the rummys are very active and need the space to move, minimum of 36" is preferable. You can go with 10-12 ember tetra, or 6-8 cardinal or glowlight tetras. You can even stay with the Asian theme and use 10-12 hengli or espei rasbora, they are pretty and also active but better suited for a 20 long.

If I was going to have a 20 gallon and wanted bettas I would look for wild bettas that are social and can safely be housed together like imbellis. I have read too many horror stories with multiple betta splendens tank where it did not end well for many of the tank's inhabitants. When male and female bettas are introduced for breeding, it is usually the female that will fight and kill the male if he is not acceptable. I would not include shrimp as bettas eat invertebrates. I would just set up the tank for the bettas; a male and 2-3 females, with lots of leaf litter and some rocks and driftwood, maybe add some kuhli loaches like pangio or oblonga.

I'm just asking if this tank would be overstocked, I've done my research on each of the fish that I listed that I want so I know what they all need.
Your gonna be a good fishkeeper if you plan ahead ;). From my experience keeping rummynoses and a betta for 8 months, I have had no issues at all. Occasionally the betta will try to snatch the food from the rummynoses but thats normal. Lately I've noticed that my betta is having trouble finding where the food is. She does still eat though which is the important bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back