Stocking ideas for 40 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DancingBetta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have a forty gallon acrylic aquarium, 39 x 21 x 18.5 inches. In the aquarium is a BN pleco, six Cory cats, three mystery snails, a Siamese algae eater, and a few baby guppies who I will put in a different tank before getting new fish. (I hope this isn’t overstocked) So, assuming I have room for more fish, what would work? I like colorful fish better, and never want a live bearer again ?. Eventually I’ll replace this tank for a bigger one. Thanks!

You definitely have room for more fish.

What is your water hardness? (pH and GH)

pH is 7, I can’t find the GH on my water company’s website, just that the ppm (not sure what that is) is anywhere from 84 to 170.

curious - I have a 40 gallon breeder, it's 36x18x16. Yours is significantly bigger than mine.

I just put it in, says it's 65 gallons.

Which one do you have?

curious - I have a 40 gallon breeder, it's 36x18x16. Yours is significantly bigger than mine.

I just put it in, says it's 65 gallons.

Which one do you have?
Just realized that. It’s possible it’s custom?

Oops, those were the dimensions for the packaging (I was looking on the website) it’s actually 36 x 15 x 16 inches.

makes more sense! Mine is 15" deep as well and I misspoke, so ours are the same. My nitrites just declined today,, so excited to put fish in! My plan is brilliant rasbora, but I'm going to call LFS when they open to make sure of what raspbora and tetra species they currently have.
Good luck!

I’ve been reading about colorful fishies for a 40 gallon, and keep coming across German Blue Rams. They look cool but are they good aquarium fish?

They can be picky about their environment needing soft water at a higher temperature than most fish are happy with. If a tank is built around their needs - including tank mates that need the same conditions - they would be fine. But put them in hard water with fish that need cooler water and it can be difficult keeping them alive.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back