Stocking Ideas for 29 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

crupp29

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 29 gallon tank and wanted to get some community fish once it is finished cycling. The problem is that Iā€™m not sure which fish would work well with each other, the parameters, the tank size, etc. The parameters are 300 ppm hardness, 300 ppm alkalinity, and 8.2 pH. If thereā€™s something I could do to alter the parameters to expand my options, Iā€™m open to doing that aswell.

Dang... 300ppm KH? Sheesh... Thats a lot of trash can for a tank... May I ask how you are cycling this? I don't actually know hard water fish too well but I definitely don't I'm w any that can be in a 29g with water of 300ppm hardness

Dang... 300ppm KH? Sheesh... Thats a lot of trash can for a tank... May I ask how you are cycling this? I don't actually know hard water fish too well but I definitely don't I'm w any that can be in a 29g with water of 300ppm hardness
Filtration media from my cichlid tank.

Filtration media from my cichlid tank.
Oh ok. Cool! I've always loved the colors of cichlids but don't have the space for the ones I like... I wonder if you could do shell dwellers! Those would kinda be cool

Oh ok. Cool! I've always loved the colors of cichlids but don't have the space for the ones I like... I wonder if you could do shell dwellers! Those would kinda be cool
Yeah, they are pretty neat. Although, Iā€™m more interested in some friendlier species that could get along with a variety of other fish.

Yeah, they are pretty neat. Although, Iā€™m more interested in some friendlier species that could get along with a variety of other fish.
Hmmm, well there are the classic guppies lol... Then there are a few hard water catfish but all need tanks of 40 gallons or more... Like I said, I know more about softwater fish than hardwater soooo... But I am still very interested in what you decide on...

I feel so dumb lol... I forgot that most rainbow fish including neon rainbows live in hard water... Those would be stunning! I nice shoal of 5-6 neon rainbow fish and you'd be set

Hmmm, well there are the classic guppies lol... Then there are a few hard water catfish but all need tanks of 40 gallons or more... Like I said, I know more about softwater fish than hardwater soooo... But I am still very interested in what you decide on...
Thatā€™s true. I was planning on getting something other than guppies if possible because, while they are nice fish, Iā€™ve kept them before and I want to try something new. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I feel so dumb lol... I forgot that most rainbow fish including neon rainbows live in hard water... Those would be stunning! I nice shoal of 5-6 neon rainbow fish and you'd be set
Those are nice, Iā€™ll have to see what kind of selection my LFS has.

Thatā€™s true. I was planning on getting something other than guppies if possible because, while they are nice fish, Iā€™ve kept them before and I want to try something new. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I agree... I decided not to keep them due to the fact that they are bred so much and they are a very "classic" aquarium fish

You actually have quite a few options! Consider rabbit snails greatly, there are so many different types!
You could go with common livebearers, I love the look of Platies, and try to breed them to make a new variation.
Have a look around for some rarer hardwater fish. I believe Pygmy Sunfish are OK???
Consider shrimps.

You actually have quite a few options! Consider rabbit snails greatly, there are so many different types!
You could go with common livebearers, I love the look of Platies, and try to breed them to make a new variation.
Have a look around for some rarer hardwater fish. I believe Pygmy Sunfish are OK???
Consider shrimps.
I think Iā€™ll hold off on snails until the tank is a little more established. Iā€™ve heard about Platies, not Pygmy Sunfish though. Those look really nice. I never considered shrimp before, Iā€™ll have to look more into them. Thanks.

Iā€™m heading to my LFS tomorrow, so let me know if you have any more suggestions. Iā€™m still not completely sure on anything yet.

Iā€™m heading to my LFS tomorrow, so let me know if you have any more suggestions. Iā€™m still not completely sure on anything yet.
You are not buying fish right? The tank still needs to be cycled if I'm correct... Does the tank even have water in it? Sorry, maybe I missed a post or something

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back