Stocking Ideas 20gal/75l

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Too Many Hobbies

Reaction score
Hi! Iā€™m new here and to the hobby and have had many questions but been too shy to post in my local fb group. Ive been running a 5gal for the past 3 months and I want to upgrade to 20gal. Currently I have 5 espei rasboras, 4 Pygmy cories, and maybe 4 rcs (usually hiding).
my mom complains that my fish are too tiny to behold and needs a magnifying glass lol to look at my tank.:blush:
Iā€™m excited to prep the new 20 gal which I havenā€™t purchased. Torn between a long but it comes with a flourescent fixture without a bulb (pricier too) or a high that comes with led. This will be planted.
which would be better?
Also what other fish should I plan on stocking? Besides increase the pygmies and rasboras. Iā€™m afraid new fish will eat the shrimp. Maybe I should give up on the shrimp. Thanks!

If anything you should add a couple guppies like 4-5 male gullies and it will add a lot of color maybe even some different platys to spruce it up and I would go with the long since you have some corys (maybe add a bushy nose pleco) just my opinion hope you have fun setting it up!

If anything you should add a couple guppies like 4-5 male gullies and it will add a lot of color maybe even some different platys to spruce it up and I would go with the long since you have some corys (maybe add a bushy nose pleco) just my opinion hope you have fun setting it up!
Sounds great! Thanks.

before you buy fish please check on the hardness of your water. Specifically we need the number and unit for GH. Your cories and rasbora are soft water fish. the platies and guppies suggested are both hard water fish. These cannot cope in soft water - so to avoid health issues you should keep fish that are suited to your water.

20 gallons long is definitely better than 20 gallons high. The length is important to give more space for your fish.

The height is not really useful unless you are keeping tall fish like Angel and Discus but 20 gallons is too small for adult Angel and Discus which need bigger tank.

But if you want to continue with the same species of fish, then 20 gallons high is enough.

But if you want bigger fish than your current one, then it's better to get 20 gallons long.

Let us know which tank you decide to buy, then I will advise you again of the type of fish.
But I guess you can only go for peaceful fish it you want to continue with your current fish and shrimps.
Also, please find out your water hardness as what Seangee mentioned.

I do have very hard water.
hopefully the new substrate can soften it a bit (fluval stratum). Leaning towards the long but I donā€™t like fluorescent. Would that lamp be enough for plants? I only have dwarf sag, foxtail, Java moss and water lettuce. Will add on Anubias and baby tears.

Last edited:
I do have very hard water.
hopefully the new substrate can soften it a bit (fluval stratum). Leaning towards the long but I donā€™t like fluorescent. Would that lamp be enough for plants? I only have dwarf sag, foxtail, Java moss and water lettuce. Will add on Anubias and baby tears.
We need a number. "Very hard" means different things to different people. If your water is very hard in fishkeeping terms then it is not suitable for cories or rasboras which will have an unnaturally short life.

Looks like gh is 300 using test strips. I donā€™t have a test kit. I tried buying from amazon but they wonā€™t ship to my island and itā€™s hard to find at lfs.

Yes that is very hard and you would be better off with livebearers. Others will be better placed to advise on species as the last time I kept livebearers was in a 125G so I never had to think too hard about size or space.

Normaly I would not recommend keeping fish in a 5G but it may be worth keeping it just as it is and mixing 1 part of tap water with 2 or 3 parts of RO or distilled water to create the environment these species need. You could of course do the same in your new tank if you want to keep soft water fish - but if you have to buy water (and/or get it shipped) this may work out too expensive in a bigger tank.

Thanks seangee
Maybe all live bearers would be best. I do mix 40-50% ro, but the sand is making it hard too. A different substrate for the 20 May lower the hardness.

It does not make sense to use RO to soften the water while the substrate is hardening it. Choose an inert substrate like play sand. That way the gh in your tank will stay the same. What is the gh of your tap water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back