Stocking help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hai

I need help with stocking my 47 gallon tank.
My current stocking is 3 blood fin tetras, 8ish Silvertip tetras, and 40+ mystery snail (many to be rehomed)
I want to love my stocking and have everything in it thrive
Tank size: 2'w×2'L×3'H, 47 us gal

Gh: 5
Ph:7.5
No2:0
No3:0

I would really enjoy a type of catfish. My mom said no cories or plecos, so maybe some otos?
No gourami, I learned the hard way they don't get along with my tetras.

:D

What about upping the number of bloodfins first?

I haven't looked up whether they're suitable to your water parameters though, have you?

Do you want to keep the species, or are these the last of a school and ideally, you wouldn't want to get more?

Otos - bear in mind that these are a delicate, peaceful species, easily bullied, and nearly always wild caught. They need an established tank that is very stable, and quarantine is also trickier because of their need for algae and stable parameters. You need to set up a quarantine specifically for them, well in advance, and it can take a while for these wild caught fish to accept prepared foods.

They're also shy and nocturnal, so you won't see the same active, schoolin behaviour that you would with a cory.

It is difficult to stock your aquarium since it is tall with limited foot area for swimming. The best you can do it layer the tank as not many fishes like to swim up and down. You could try a group of pygmy cory - maybe 8 or 10. Or a group of 12 oto if either of these appeal. Neither are particularly flashy fishes but in groups they can be quite amusing. Alternatively you could try some a group of 8 or so kuhli loaches. If you get lucky the ones you buy will enjoy glass surfing and will spend all day (or at least night) swimming up and down the 3 foot panel.

I'd second increasing the size of your Bloodfin Tetra shoal.
So what would you want to get out of a catfish?
Apart from Bristlenose, they're all quite sedentary, at least when the lights are on.

I'd second Pygmy Corys...think bees in a flower garden. Very active little fish, either singly, in pairs, small groups or even en masse.

Golden Pencilfish are similar in their overall behaviour to the Pygmy C's.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back