The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DE_Tank

Reaction score
Hello eveyone, i am fairly new to the hobby i have obviously done research but would like some advice!

I have had a 14 gallon / 64 liter fish tank for a while and it had 5 danios and 4 corydoras, a friend of mine needed to get rid of his 125l/33G tank so i took it almost a month ago i recently added my danios and corydoras into the tank all is good. I have been testing the water parameters and they have all stayed great so far i change 20% weekly the filer is an internal one that comes with the tank and it seems pretty god from what i have read (juwel rio 125l). i was wanting to know realistically what my stocking levels are like and what i have room for.

In the 125L/33G i have
5 x glowlight tetras
5 x danios
4 x bronze corydoras
3 x red phantom tetras
1 x Neon Tetra
a couple of nerite snails and also a 5 inch sailfin pleco (currently finding him a new bigger home)

the tank is obviously cycled and fully established as it came with the existing used filter has a couple plants in and plan to increase the amount of plants and remove some of the plastic decor. the pleco is great but i would never get one as i know that they grow quick and should not be kept in smaller tanks as they grow very quick i would never get one but as i took this tank on it came with it. i would ideally like to get a big group of neon tetras so my current one is not on his own! how many should i be able to safely add to my tank? also would a mixture of neons and cardinals work well? i would also like to add a couple more bronze corydoras to make their shoal bigger what is everyones thoughts and how many would be safe?

Thanks

Welcome.
The boys n girls here will need your water hardness figures. You can get them from your water providers website.
Have you a water testing kit?

Yes I have the master testing kit by API Ph 6.8 and water hardness is soft I just checked the water suppliers website and it says 1.8

I think you could get 15-20 neon in that size tank easily. Neons prefer slightly acidic water, my ph is 6.6 and I’ve got 9 neons in a 50l tank.

In the 125L/33G i have
5 x glowlight tetras
5 x danios

4 x bronze corydoras
3 x red phantom tetras
1 x Neon Tetra
I would also increase the numbers of the other shoaling fish. You've already mentioned neon tetras and cories but the others also need to be in groups of at least 6. However, that may be a bit much for a 125 litre tank.

Water changes should be at least 50% every week, especially if there are no live plants (you haven't mentioned whether it's planted or not)

please fully read my initial post! I said it is planted and will be adding much more on my next trip to the shop! As mentioned in a comment above I am not planning on increasing the amount of glow lights and red phantoms as I took this tank on from a friend and would not get them again after they die out! I am well aware schooling fish should be in groups of 6 or more and bigger the better but if I went by this It would be a constant cycle of some dying and having to buy more forever haha I change 20% weekly if not twice weekly! The main reason for wanting neons is that they add bright colour to the aquarium rather than all the same pretty much

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back