stocking help for (2) 29 gallon tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phildo5

Reaction score
hello everybody! new to the hobby and im currently cycling a 29 gallon tank with 7 danios..im about 5 weeks in and i believe im getting close to cycling as my ammonia is at .25ppm and zero nitrite and just below 5 nitrates. i have another 29 gallon tank that im cycling with pure ammonia and im a few weeks away. I also have a 10 gallon quarantine tank currently cycling as well. also will point out I have a 5 gallon completely cycled betta tank divided with two occupants. MY question is when im done cycling do you think i can stock one 29 gallon tank with 2 electric blue acaras with potentially 3 albino corys? then for the other 29 gallon tank with the 7 zebra danios id like to add 2 pairs of bolivian rams with maybe 5 otos as my bottom feeders. will that be okay? i really would like acaras in one and bolivians in the other.

hello everybody! new to the hobby and im currently cycling a 29 gallon tank with 7 danios..im about 5 weeks in and i believe im getting close to cycling as my ammonia is at .25ppm and zero nitrite and just below 5 nitrates. i have another 29 gallon tank that im cycling with pure ammonia and im a few weeks away. I also have a 10 gallon quarantine tank currently cycling as well. also will point out I have a 5 gallon completely cycled betta tank divided with two occupants. MY question is when im done cycling do you think i can stock one 29 gallon tank with 2 electric blue acaras with potentially 3 albino corys? then for the other 29 gallon tank with the 7 zebra danios id like to add 2 pairs of bolivian rams with maybe 5 otos as my bottom feeders. will that be okay? i really would like acaras in one and bolivians in the other.
Hi!
Before we can give you stocking advise we need to know your waters general hardness or GH. Do you know how to find it?
You can only get one acara in a 29. If you get an acara also don't add any other bottom dwellers. Same goes with the ram, but you can keep corydoras with them. Otos are very advanced fish and I would not recommend them for a beginner. Zebra danios need at least 36 inches of swimming length as opposed to the 30 inches of space you have available in a 29. If everything works out with your water I would do this
1st tank
- 1 Electric blue acara
- 8 lemon or black skirt tetra
2nd tank
- 1 Bolivian ram
- 6 albino corydoras
Let me know if you have questions or want other suggestions!

Hi!
Before we can give you stocking advise we need to know your waters general hardness or GH. Do you know how to find it?
You can only get one acara in a 29. If you get an acara also don't add any other bottom dwellers. Same goes with the ram, but you can keep corydoras with them. Otos are very advanced fish and I would not recommend them for a beginner. Zebra danios need at least 36 inches of swimming length as opposed to the 30 inches of space you have available in a 29. If everything works out with your water I would do this
1st tank
- 1 Electric blue acara
2nd tank
- 1 Bolivian ram
- 6 albino corydoras
Let me know if you have questions or want other suggestions!
hello, thank you for replying. and yes my tap water is 100-120ppm Carbonate Hardness and 140-160ppm GH. My tap water has a higher pH around 8.2 as well. sorry for taking so long to respond.

hello, thank you for replying. and yes my tap water is 100-120ppm Carbonate Hardness and 140-160ppm GH. My tap water has a higher pH around 8.2 as well. sorry for taking so long to respond.
No that's alright. Your parameters line up fine with the fish I suggested. I'd take a look at them and tell us what you think and if you want some more ideas!

No that's alright. Your parameters line up fine with the fish I suggested. I'd take a look at them and tell us what you think and if you want some more ideas!
ill go with the one acara in one tank due to its girth and length and the lemon tetra actually might fit well color scheme wise for me.. i wanted 2/3 yellow electric cichlid with them but they most likely wouldn't get along. regarding my 2nd tank you wouldnt recommend more then one Bolivian ram?

ill go with the one acara in one tank due to its girth and length and the lemon tetra actually might fit well color scheme wise for me.. i wanted 2/3 yellow electric cichlid with them but they most likely wouldn't get along. regarding my 2nd tank you wouldnt recommend more then one Bolivian ram?
Hmm no, BUT, if you somehow find a bonded pair (male+female that will breed) it can work. If you want 2 cool bottom dwellers you should look into kribensis and apistogramma, both will work in your water and if you have a male and female they will breed in the right conditions. I'm a big Krib lover my self!

Hmm no, BUT, if you somehow find a bonded pair (male+female that will breed) it can work. If you want 2 cool bottom dwellers you should look into kribensis and apistogramma, both will work in your water and if you have a male and female they will breed in the right conditions. I'm a big Krib lover my self!
wow thank you so much. im not too familiar with them, but the male opal borelli looks incredible. ill have to take a deep dive. can they be mixed peacefully with the bolivians and albino corys? should i get one or a pair? oh and i plan on purchasing all fish going forward online from aquaticarts..I saw some shady things and carelessness at my big box LFS.

Not regarding stocking, but why don’t you add some of your media from your established 5G to speed things along? That or some of the substrate.

wow thank you so much. im not too familiar with them, but the male opal borelli looks incredible. ill have to take a deep dive. can they be mixed peacefully with the bolivians and albino corys? should i get one or a pair? oh and i plan on purchasing all fish going forward online from aquaticarts..I saw some shady things and carelessness at my big box LFS.
They can go with corys, and yes you should get a pair (male+female)

Most reactions

Back