FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JohnnyFish

Reaction score
Hello, I was wanting some stocking advice on my 37l aquarium,

its a 40x40x25 aquarium, more of a cube shape.
I have soft water.

I currently have 6 ember tetras and 2 Bolivian tetras. I was wanting to maybe add some more ember tetras but I do not want to overstock. the water quality is always great and I maintain the tank weekly. what would the limit be for this size of tank?

thank you!

Tanks a bit small for the rams ideally I’d want your stocking in at least 100 litres.

Ah sorry should read things properly! I’d swap them out for more ember tetras though as you can’t accommodate a proper school of them and the embers are one of the fish best suited to this size tank and if you added a few more for a total of 10 you will get better colours and more interesting behaviour from a bigger school

Shrimps would be OK with just ember tetras - I don't recognise the description or the name of the other fish so I don't know if they are safe with shrimps (If you can post a photo, a picture speaks a thousand words ;) )
With orange-red embers, yellow or blue cherry shrimps would make a nice contrast.

Nerite snails (one, maybe two) are another option.

I wouldn't suggest any algae eating fish for this tank. The smallest one is otocinclus but they need to be in a shoal, and they often won't eat anything but a specific type of algae so they starve.

hi Essjay, thank you. I've had nerite snails before but the little eggs really annoyed me haha. I think ill wait till the tank gets established and add a few cherry shrimp.

i will add a picture, from googling it I think they're Bolivian tetras aka orange lemon tetras, I got them at my local maidenhead aquatics. I can't get a good pic of them now, here's an old one ;)

Attachments

• tempImage7FZqRa.png
    tempImage7FZqRa.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Shrimps would be OK with just ember tetras - I don't recognise the description or the name of the other fish so I don't know if they are safe with shrimps (If you can post a photo, a picture speaks a thousand words ;) )
With orange-red embers, yellow or blue cherry shrimps would make a nice contrast.

Nerite snails (one, maybe two) are another option.

I wouldn't suggest any algae eating fish for this tank. The smallest one is otocinclus but they need to be in a shoal, and they often won't eat anything but a specific type of algae so they starve.

Attachments

• tempImagepwXf8R.png
    tempImagepwXf8R.png
    1 MB · Views: 64
They look like lemon tetras, Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-pulchripinnis/
This link does refer to an orange red form which has been given the name 'orange Bolivia' which may or may not be the same species as the lemon tetra but they are very similar with the same requirements.

I would definitely swap them for more embers - as you'll see in the link, they do need a bigger tank, with a footprint at least 80 x 30 cm.

They look like lemon tetras, Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-pulchripinnis/
This link does refer to an orange red form which has been given the name 'orange Bolivia' which may or may not be the same species as the lemon tetra but they are very similar with the same requirements.

I would definitely swap them for more embers - as you'll see in the link, they do need a bigger tank, with a footprint at least 80 x 30 cm.
Oh no I feel bad now ;( I have had them for about 3 years and they've been in my 65l tank which cracked. I suppose that's my fault I didn't know downsizing to 37l would be too small for these last 2. My LFS said 30l+ would be ample but I guess is should've known not to trust that.

by 'swapping' what do you mean? I don't have anywhere they can go.

thanks for all the help!

It is quite common for fish keepers to 'part-ex' fish they no longer want for fish they do want. Many shops will do this, but not all so it's worth checking before you go, especially at the moment.

Another alternative is to advertise them on https://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/ (don't forget to arrange a social distancing pick up ;) )

It is quite common for fish keepers to 'part-ex' fish they no longer want for fish they do want. Many shops will do this, but not all so it's worth checking before you go, especially at the moment.

Another alternative is to advertise them on https://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/ (don't forget to arrange a social distancing pick up ;) )
okay, thanks for the advice and useful links!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back