Stocking For 6Ft Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jazziecatz said:

Just go for a walk through your local woods, or head the local water(lake, river, pond estuary) and start pulling out branches. You will be amazed what you can find for free! I have 3-4 good size bits in my back garden that i've plucked from various places. They would cost a small fortune in shops.
Isnt that a little bacterious and gross for the tank?

It still needs boiling, and treating, but is still ultimatley the same as normal bog wood.

MojoDex said:
Just go for a walk through your local woods, or head the local water(lake, river, pond estuary) and start pulling out branches. You will be amazed what you can find for free! I have 3-4 good size bits in my back garden that i've plucked from various places. They would cost a small fortune in shops.
Isnt that a little bacterious and gross for the tank?
It still needs boiling, and treating, but is still ultimatley the same as normal bog wood.

Can you point me to a good link because I imagine there are a lot of different factors to take into account. How does one treat the wood?

Right then after many hours of thought and reading forums I have come up with the following

Common pleco
A group of bristle noses (can anyone recommend numbers)
Cory cats ~15
Rummy nose tetra ~20
Black phantom tetra ~20
Silver dollars ~10
My lone angel fish
Cockatoo chiclid 5m 1f (rehoming and hoping to have a final ratio of 3m and 6f once I haggle with LFS)

Sand substrate
Plenty of big wood
Piles of rocks
Caves and hollows

Sorry info is quite hard to come by, I only currently have personal; experience to go off. I currently have a 5ft bit of oak in my tank with absolutely no ill effects on the fish. It's not even water logged yet! I have another large bit outside which I need to treat, Which is just pouring lots of boiling water over it, Usually about 10-20 kettles worth. Scrape the bark off if you like, But apparently some Panaque species quite like bark so it is quite beneficial to them!

As for your stocking, i'd still lose the angel fish. But if you keep it you just need to keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting nipped. If you wanted bristlenose I would lose the common as they really are just a very very messy fish. But that said i'd see no issues with a few bristle noses. :)

Can't wait to see this tank. Personally I'd still go with just one large shoal of the same tetra. It's going to look great either way though. :)

Tank has been set up now.

Going to get a cabinet, corner frames and a lid built up for it.

Slowly but surely it will take shape.

My lone angel is pretending to be a silver dollar and my black phantom tetra are loving the swimming space.

Hopefully I will keep pics as a record and I will put a couple up on here too.

marcandnic said:
Tank has been set up now.
Going to get a cabinet, corner frames and a lid built up for it.
Slowly but surely it will take shape.
My lone angel is pretending to be a silver dollar and my black phantom tetra are loving the swimming space.
Hopefully I will keep pics as a record and I will put a couple up on here too.
Any updates/pics yet?

Unfortunately there are no updates yet.

This was a picture from when the tank was first set up.

Taken with iPhone so not good quality.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back