Stocking for 55gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
I was wondering what fish I could/should put with 6 rummynose tetras, 4 neon tetras, 2 otocinclus catfish and ghost shrimp? I also have 5 ember tetra fry that will join them when they're big enough to not get eaten. Suggestions?

Iā€™ve successfully had tiger barbs in with neons tetras before in a 40g breeder tank, however the swimming space is greater in a 40 than a 55(which I currently have now)anyway Iā€™d not recommend that as tiger barbs remind me of wolves or lions of the fish world. They donā€™t always chase other fish, usually they just chase eachother but Once in a great while they did bust up a pack of neons and then chase a lone running neon, no neon was lost but the barbs seemed to never give up sometimes even though the neons were much faster.. They travel and harass in packs and when just one fish decides to set their sights on another fish they all follow suit..it made the tank nice to the eye to watch them chasing eachother and darting around the obstacles as they are a VERY active fish from my experience...Someone with more experience can help you better with your current stocking situation. However currently my 55 gallon has a pleco, 10 or 11 neons, 2 small angel fish I had to rehome that May stay permanently unless they get nipped or until theyā€™re big enough to eat my neons, a mixed group of 10 or 11 platys, 2 velvet swordtails,5 red minor tetras and they all get along and the tank is fairly interesting to watch during day.. Im currently lightly dosing with prime and stability until my bacteria catches up due to the swords, red minors, and 4 platys being new, I personally like some of the guppies ESP the sunrise guppies and Dalmatian mollies however Iā€™ve never had them. Iā€™ll try to remember to get a photo at feeding time so the new fish come out and you can see what they all look like together.

Last edited:
I would suggest your first step would be to up your tetra groups to 12-15 of each. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

AFAIK otos also do better in groups of 6+ but that is from memory as I don't keep them - and the tank does need to be mature enough to feed them.

I would agree with @seangee on adding more of the tetras you already have.

On the otos, they definitely benefit a lot from being in a bigger group, and are less skittish when there are more of them, in my experience.

I'd prioritize adding more otos first, maybe around 4-6, then more neons.

If you didn't have the ghost shrimp, I'd recommend some rams or apistos as a centerpiece fish.

As promised. Hereā€™s my stocking to maybe give you ideas. This tank I setup for my little girl, none of these fish are skiddish and are all colorful and ā€œfunā€ to watch. she can sit and watch them all day in her high chair if I let her. I donā€™t really have a centerpiece fish, maybe if the angels can stay they will be. Here you can see the platy fish and the red minor tetras really good(They May be the long fin versions..I canā€™t remember)
2BE74AD8-A098-45E5-B103-922690ACB2D2.jpeg B3296C0F-C4F9-45AD-8427-6493439F1C18.jpeg B7EB3EBD-3526-4B58-BE30-C6491AD2DF66.jpeg 19841402-7922-48DE-B31C-6A7371AB180A.jpeg 96E8F839-229F-4361-BD2C-C99CB9C95C3D.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suggest your first step would be to up your tetra groups to 12-15 of each. You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

AFAIK otos also do better in groups of 6+ but that is from memory as I don't keep them - and the tank does need to be mature enough to feed them.
Yes I am definitely going to expand my schools. I used to have 5 otos but they've slowly died off over the years... just the last two now :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back