Stocking Fluval Edge 6 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hello all!

I bought a Fluval Edge many years ago when they first came out. I originally got it to house a Betta that was gifted to me (after I researched Betta Care and realized the bowl he was housed in was NOT cool). I tried adding live plants for an aquascape (which didn't work due to the horrible light). I did manage to get some java fern and moss to grow though. I added some ghost shrimp which the Betta was thrilled with - a very nice snack for him. Sorry shrimpies! I've read that some Betta will tolerate shrimp, but this one was especially aggressive. I'm sure it didn't help that I added the shrimp after the Betta had already established his tank as his territory. If I do this again, I will get a female Betta and add the shrimp first. After the Betta passed away, I then added neon tetras which were very happy for awhile, plus I had a few tiny corys. I am now reading that this tank is far too small for the dwarf corys, but I am reading the opposite on other websites (SOOO confusing).

I put the tank away for about 2 years, and I'm ready to get started again. I am going to add plants and cycle first, but I am not sure what to stock with after that point. I want to get it densely planted, so I am going to upgrade from the 21 LED light to the 42 LED light for the Fluval Edge. I will be sticking with easy, low light plants like the Java fern, moss and some anubis. I am going to have some driftwood and other hardscape for hiding places as well. And I will use the Fluval stratum since it worked great before. I'm used to cleaning it without stirring up too much dust.

I thought about a single Betta who would be happiest alone, but I would love to have a community if possible. The pygmy corys were so sociable and my favorite out of all the fish I had, but now I'm worried that the tank is too small even if I just had them by themselves. I also considered a single dwarf blue gourami instead of the Betta (are they less aggressive towards shrimp)? I really would love to have one single showstopper specimen (betta, gourami or something very colorful), some tiny fish in a group (corys, rasbora maybe?), 3-5 shrimp, a trapdoor snail, and a horned nerite. I know this is asking too much of my little tank, but what combination of these guys would you suggest to make the most of my space without causing my fishies stress? Thanks for any suggestions.
Hello all!

I bought a Fluval Edge many years ago when they first came out. I originally got it to house a Betta that was gifted to me (after I researched Betta Care and realized the bowl he was housed in was NOT cool). I tried adding live plants for an aquascape (which didn't work due to the horrible light). I did manage to get some java fern and moss to grow though. I added some ghost shrimp which the Betta was thrilled with - a very nice snack for him. Sorry shrimpies! I've read that some Betta will tolerate shrimp, but this one was especially aggressive. I'm sure it didn't help that I added the shrimp after the Betta had already established his tank as his territory. If I do this again, I will get a female Betta and add the shrimp first. After the Betta passed away, I then added neon tetras which were very happy for awhile, plus I had a few tiny corys. I am now reading that this tank is far too small for the dwarf corys, but I am reading the opposite on other websites (SOOO confusing).

I put the tank away for about 2 years, and I'm ready to get started again. I am going to add plants and cycle first, but I am not sure what to stock with after that point. I want to get it densely planted, so I am going to upgrade from the 21 LED light to the 42 LED light for the Fluval Edge. I will be sticking with easy, low light plants like the Java fern, moss and some anubis. I am going to have some driftwood and other hardscape for hiding places as well. And I will use the Fluval stratum since it worked great before. I'm used to cleaning it without stirring up too much dust.

I thought about a single Betta who would be happiest alone, but I would love to have a community if possible. The pygmy corys were so sociable and my favorite out of all the fish I had, but now I'm worried that the tank is too small even if I just had them by themselves. I also considered a single dwarf blue gourami instead of the Betta (are they less aggressive towards shrimp)? I really would love to have one single showstopper specimen (betta, gourami or something very colorful), some tiny fish in a group (corys, rasbora maybe?), 3-5 shrimp, a trapdoor snail, and a horned nerite. I know this is asking too much of my little tank, but what combination of these guys would you suggest to make the most of my space without causing my fishies stress? Thanks for any suggestions.
Your enthusiasm deserves a much bigger tank unless you do only a Betta and a snail with plants are in my opinion your best fitwoth many a pair of dwarf Cory's. Make sure to keep up with water chsnges

I would advise against keeping a couple of dwarf cories. The three dwarf species (Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastatus) need to be in a group of at least 8.

I am not rehoming them because then they will be given to someone who doesnt know how to take care of fish and also not everything dealing with fish care has to be perfect and fish are not humans there life is not as valuable as ours.
WHy is a fish life not as valuable as yours? I think the fish would disagree. This idea that human life is valued above other life is dangerous. All life big and small has value, all life is connected and we as humans are stewards of life, if one doesnt want to be a steward of fish dont get fish. As for people eating fish but not dogs, plenty of places where people eat dog. :(

Recently bought the fluval6g that is under a fishless cycle right now, curious to see your setup. What kind of plants do you have?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back