FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

EndlessFlame

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 75g tank and Iā€™m having trouble deciding how to finish stocking it. Hereā€™s what I have in the tank so far:

6 x mollies
3 x dwarf gouramis
Planning on 6+ cory catfish

Iā€™m working on having the tank moderately planted. For additional fish Iā€™m looking for something with variety, activity, and/or schooling behaviors.

Here are some of the species Iā€™m debating between: platys, rummynose tetras, clown plecos, dwarf crayfish

Last edited:
Skip the dwarf gouramis, they will most likely end up killing each other. I would get 2 trios of pearl gouramis , a clown pleco, 15-30 corries, and a couple schools of a smaller fish.

Sorry, I wasnā€™t clear. I already have the mollies and gourami. And they nip rarely but for the most part they get along. I do have backup tanks for if they get too aggressive, though.

What small schools would you recommend?

If you get any smaller fish be careful as dwarf gouramis are notorious for killing off small fish.

Let's ignore people's opinions on what fish they happen to like and focus on what is suitable for your setup. Mollies require very hard water. Gouramis and the other fish you are considering require soft water. It would be irresponsible to recommend fish without knowing your water parameters.

The number we are interested in is general hardness or GH. We need both the number and unit as there are several units in use. This information may be available on your water suppliers website. Please note we need an actual number. Words like moderately hard are meaningless because they mean different things to different people.

Hello! I have a 75g tank and Iā€™m having trouble deciding how to finish stocking it. Hereā€™s what I have in the tank so far:

6 x mollies
3 x dwarf gouramis
Planning on 6+ cory catfish

Iā€™m working on having the tank moderately planted. For additional fish Iā€™m looking for something with variety, activity, and/or schooling behaviors.

Here are some of the species Iā€™m debating between: platys, rummynose tetras, clown plecos, dwarf crayfish
:hi:to TFF

We need your water parameters (Gh,Ph,temp) and tank dimensions before recommending any fish.

First problem with the list you have mentioned is there is a mix of soft and hard water fish which can not be put together. Mollies and platies are from hard waters and Tetra's etc are from soft.

If you can pop your params down we can help you with your stocking :)

Last edited:
Seangee and Russjw are right on the mark...none of us can possibly recommend fish without knowing more about the water parameters, and a couple other things. The GH and pH of your source water you may be able to get from the water authority, check their website or call them. You already have fish with very specific requirements (the mollies especially) and this may need sorting out before acquiring more.

Cories were mentioned, so that means a smooth (non-rough) sand substrate.

Welcome to TFF.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back