Stocking advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon long tank it currently has 1 honey gourami 3 platys 8 neon tetras 6 corys a mystery snail and 2 amono shrimp.
I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrate
Ph is at 6.8 and a dgh of 14
I have live plants as well.
Is this tank at its full capacity and if not what else could i get. I also like to breed them so if i could put something like that in it would be great. Any advice greatly appreciated

Are you certain of the numbers for the GH and pH? A GH of 14 dGH (= 250 ppm) is fairly hard water, and one would expect a pH above 7 and closer to 8.

Is the GH the tank water or the tap water? If the former, what is the tap water GH?

The pet shop employee said the ph was slightly below 7 and ya im certain with the gh but it does change i tested it myself and it came 7.2

The pet shop employee said the ph was slightly below 7 and ya im certain with the gh but it does change i tested it myself and it came 7.2

I assume 7.2 is the pH. Can you test the tap water on its own for GH, and then test the tank water for GH?

I could but id have to go get it tested as i currently have no test kit
But is my tank over stocked

I could but id have to go get it tested as i currently have no test kit
But is my tank over stocked

The tank is not overstocked in terms of just numbers, but there is much more to overstocking. Fish that are truly suitable requires some research, and we cannot really suggest species until we know the data.

For the GH...you are certain it is different between the tap water and the tank water?

Can you find the data online about your tap water, check the website of the municipal water authority that supplies your water, it may be there.

Let me make sure that the reading from the pet store was 14 and im in ireland and they do not monitor gh

I got my water retested in a different store they said that my dgh is 15 and ph is 7.2

OK, we can assume the GH is fairly hard with a basic pH.

You asked about more fish. There are some species of tetra that can manage at the GH you have. Another member asked about "hard water tetras" recently, and I took the time to go through my notes and provided the following list. Most of these should be OK for you as far as water parameters is concerned, but there could be other issues making them less than desirable but it is a start.

Glowlight Tetra, Pristella Tetra (X-Ray), Costello (January) Tetra, Head and Tail Light Tetra, Buenos Aires Tetra, Flame Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Cochu (Blue) Tetra, Black Skirt (Widow) Tetra, Silvertip Tetra, Red Eye Tetra, Emperor Tetra, Penguin Tetra.

In post #1 you mention breeding fish. Livebearers produce live young, but with male and female present this can quickly become a serious problem unless you have other tanks for the fry to grow out, and then you have to deal with getting rid of them.

Egg layers which includes all the tetras might spawn but the fish are very adept at eating the eggs the moment they are scattered by the spawning pair, and you are highly unlikely to have any survive unless only the one species is present and then there are very good hiding spots for the eggs to fall into.

Ya i have a small 10 gallon tank that i have bred the platy fry and corydoras and also some cherry shrimp. Is there any rainbow fish (psydomugils) or killifish that would be suited. I also like gbr but i believe they need a higher ph. I lije the look of marble hatchet fish but i dont know anything about them and also i like cherry barbs but are these too fast moving. The other fish i saw that i like are endler and guppys but would it be a bad idea having both platys and another live bearer

Ya i have a small 10 gallon tank that i have bred the platy fry and corydoras and also some cherry shrimp. Is there any rainbow fish (psydomugils) or killifish that would be suited. I also like gbr but i believe they need a higher ph. I lije the look of marble hatchet fish but i dont know anything about them and also i like cherry barbs but are these too fast moving. The other fish i saw that i like are endler and guppys but would it be a bad idea having both platys and another live bearer

There are rainbowfish, but your tank is too small for some of them, not to mention the existing fish. Killifish are primarily soft water fish, though there may be some exceptions. Marble hatchetfish prefer softer water. GBR I assume is German Blue Ram, and this is a soft water species but one that will manage in water close to that in which it was bred (most of these are commercially-raised fish, not wild caught, but the latter would absolutely need soft water).

You can mix livebearers. Just get only males. Females will mean hundreds of fry before long, though Endlers are not prolific like the larger species would be.

I dont mind the fry as my lfs is always looking for livebearers would any of the lake tangeniken ciclids work in my tank sorry for the bad spelling or apisto or danios

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back