Stocking advice Rams

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TropicalTanks

Reaction score
Just set up a 25 gallon, 18×18×18in dimensions, fully planted and cycled. From what I've read online, rams are not a harem fish. So stocking say 1 male with 3 females would create stress on the two females that didn't eventually pair off with the singular male fish. My question now is could I stock this tank with two pairs of GBR? Or is the footprint too small? If I should stick with one pair, should I add a smaller school of fish to bring out a more natural behavior in the rams or would they be better off alone in the tank? I'm trying to get the most natural behavior out of these rams because I've kept them before and they're just so cool to me. All input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

I will assume you are referring to the common or blue ram (or any of its varieties, all are from the one natural species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), and not the Bolivian Ram M. altispinosus though the answer would not be much different.

Blue/common rams must have warmth, at minimum 80F (27C) and I mention this because not all "tropical" species can tolerate this permanently so tankmates can be tricky to find.

I would not try for more than one pair in a 25g, and especially given the dimensions. At least three feet in length would be needed so the males can establish their territories.

You are correct about the harem, and the stress on multiple females. Here again, a much longer tank might alleviate the latter issue, but not here.

This species must select its own mate, and they will bond. You can usually see probable bonding/bonded pairs in a tank of the species. You can purchase several and let a pair form, but then you have to do something with all the others, so I prefer observing them in the store tank. If they do not select each other, success long-term is not going to occur, guaranteed. They may spawn a couple times, but it will be game over for the female if they did not actually bond.

That's pretty much what I had expected. The tank right now is currently set up with 82° water. I've heard that's the temperature most fish stores will keep them at, so I'm assuming it will be easier to get them adjusted before raising the temperature a bit. From what I've read, 84° is generally a good temperature? Last question. Without dither fish, will the rams be skittish and hide all the time? Last time I had them, I kept a pair in a 65 gallon with plenty of other fish and they did great.

That's pretty much what I had expected. The tank right now is currently set up with 82° water. I've heard that's the temperature most fish stores will keep them at, so I'm assuming it will be easier to get them adjusted before raising the temperature a bit. From what I've read, 84° is generally a good temperature? Last question. Without dither fish, will the rams be skittish and hide all the time? Last time I had them, I kept a pair in a 65 gallon with plenty of other fish and they did great.

Yes, temperature at 80F/26C is minimum, and it can go much higher. The main reason this species does not last long [the normal life expectancy is 4-5 years] in most tanks is the temperature, it must be warm. Data collected in the habitat and reported in Linke & Staeck (Dwarf Cichlids, 1994) has water temp at 28.5C (83F) at 10 am on an overcast day which was relatively "cool" with an air temperature of 31C (88F). It gets much hotter.

Finding suitable dither fish is not easy due to this temperature, but there are some. The green (false) neon, Parachierodon simulans, is one that would be ideal, as is the closely related cardinal tetra P. axelrodi. They are sympatric species (meaning, they occur in the same watercourse together) in some of their habitats but not in others. P. axelrodi inhabits waters that do not exceed 30°C, and P. simulans lives at temperatures that can surpass 35°C (D.F. Campos, et al, 2017).

I'd have to go through my profiles for others, this is not something I retain without looking it up. :book: And yes, the rams would be more at ease with fish around them. If you want successful spawning, forget substrate catfish as they are nocturnal and the eggs will not likely survive, nor the fry if they do.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll stick with a single pair for now and add dither fish in to my plan once I've found some suitable candidates that would be easy to find. I'm not sure if I've ever seen either of those fish you spoke of at my LFS. Unless the "cardinal tetra P axelrodi" is just a common cardinal tetra.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll stick with a single pair for now and add dither fish in to my plan once I've found some suitable candidates that would be easy to find. I'm not sure if I've ever seen either of those fish you spoke of at my LFS. Unless the "cardinal tetra P axelrodi" is just a common cardinal tetra.

Yes. I prefer using the scientific name and usually include it for the benefit of others, as it is the only way to accurately know what species one is talking about. Common names are often common only to those who are using them!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back