Stocking advice on emergency tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I agree that it's best not to add fish into a tank with sickness/ ongoing treatment. But if they're better soon you could move the tetra again to give the discus more room. Just do a big water change and add carbon to get rid of the medication first.
Thank you.

Thank you Byron. It was the Rummynose Tetra that I was wondering if could go in the Melafix 180 litre tank cos I know it's understocked. I wouldn't have put the Discus in there. But I won't chance it. The 57 litre tank that they're in has twin directable water outlets so there's good agitation of water. I was thinking should I halve the 12 Rummynose to put in the empty 30 litre tank or will they do better in a larger group?

I would keep the rummynose together; the larger the shoal the less stressed regardless of other factors. And chasing 12 of them around to move them will cause severe stress and after what has occurred that should be avoided.

I agree, it is very stressful for the fish. Good luck.

I agree, it is very stressful for the fish. Good luck.
Thank you Byron, pheonixKindgz and Naughts. I will keep them all in the 57 litre tank and do daily part water changes. It's a tiny job compared with changing the 300 litre. I am gutted about the tank cracking . I bought it new 4-5 month ago. On the positive side it looked like a beautiful tall tank at about 5' tall with the cabinet. The downside was it was harder to clean as I needed steps to vacuum the gravel and clean the glass. And if a plant came loose I had practically to do acrobatics to get it back in. My next purchase will definitely not be as tall. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your advice.

Thank you Byron, pheonixKindgz and Naughts. I will keep them all in the 57 litre tank and do daily part water changes. It's a tiny job compared with changing the 300 litre. I am gutted about the tank cracking . I bought it new 4-5 month ago. On the positive side it looked like a beautiful tall tank at about 5' tall with the cabinet. The downside was it was harder to clean as I needed steps to vacuum the gravel and clean the glass. And if a plant came loose I had practically to do acrobatics to get it back in. My next purchase will definitely not be as tall. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your advice.
Try getting a refund, unless it was on an uneven surface it must have had a manufacturing fault.

This is true, it might work. Did your tank have a warranty on it?
It had a warranty on the electrics but not the glass. Will stick to an established and well known make next time. I had 150 litres of water cascade over my carpet. Then it turned into a jet that I was able to catch in buckets. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. I'm still going to give them a call and see what they have to say. Tbh even if they offered a replacement I'm not sure if I'd like to chance it. This was my first go at a planted tank and keeping Discus. My juveniles and plants were coming along nicely. I was just about to go shopping for more plants and stock the day it happened. At least I was home and the fish were saved. Could have been worse. Thanks for your help guys. This forum really is fantastic support.

That is fortunate that you where home, that could have been a disaster. This forum really is the best! :)

It had a warranty on the electrics but not the glass.
Did you buy it new? In the UK you have 6 years protection against latent defects. A fish tank that leaks is clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was sold and therefore covered. Try to slip the phrase "Consumer rights act, 2015" into the conversation.

Did you buy it new? In the UK you have 6 years protection against latent defects. A fish tank that leaks is clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was sold and therefore covered. Try to slip the phrase "Consumer rights act, 2015" into the conversation.
Isn't there also some cover if paid by credit card? Maybe an avenue to try if you used a credit card Lindat.

Thanks for the advice. Yes it was bought new. I am going to call them tomorrow. It's not just the loss of the tank, it's also the uncertainty of stress to the fish. I love my little juvenile Discus and it's lovely watching them grow. Also the Rummynose are lovely doing their thing in a group. Hardly enough room for them to swim about now. I'm not saying anything about cleaning the carpet...grrr.

Thanks for the advice. Yes it was bought new. I am going to call them tomorrow. It's not just the loss of the tank, it's also the uncertainty of stress to the fish. I love my little juvenile Discus and it's lovely watching them grow. Also the Rummynose are lovely doing their thing in a group. Hardly enough room for them to swim about now. I'm not saying anything about cleaning the carpet...grrr.
You poor thing :( , hope you can at least get the money back for the tank.

A new tank shouldn't had cracked so easily. It's a very serious problem for a new tank to crack.

What is the dimension of your 300 liter tank (width, height, depth)?
What is the thickness of the glass (sides and bottom glass)?
Did you put any styrofoam or rubber mat under the tank in case of uneven surface on the top surface of the cabinet?
Lastly, can you post a photo of your tank?
Sorry, for the many questions.

I'm trying to see whether if there is any bad designs with the tank that might have caused it to crack.

Last edited:
One more information.

For your future tank, you can also consider a 3 feet tank (160-180 liter) which I think is the minimum for the comfort of 6-8 Discus.
Otherwise, a 25-30 gallons tank might also work for your 3 Discus but provided there is no serious aggressions among them.
Usually for fewer Discus (less than 6), they tend to have more bullying /aggressions.

A new tank shouldn't had cracked so easily. It's a very serious problem for a new tank to crack.

What is the dimension of your 300 liter tank (width, height, depth)?
What is the thickness of the glass (sides and bottom glass)?
Did you put any styrofoam or rubber mat under the tank in case of uneven surface on the top surface of the cabinet?
Lastly, can you post a photo of your tank?
Sorry, for the many questions.

I'm trying to see whether if there is any bad designs with the tank that might have caused it to crack.
Hi Sorry I didn't get back to you. I'll post the info within the next couple of days.

Most reactions

Back