Stocking Advice Inspiration

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alkers

Reaction score
Long-time member, and not much of a poster but returning to the site after the recent sudden death of my Oscar (this was almost in tandem with a snail infestation - related?).

My Oscar was in the tank alone so I am looking to re-stock my Vision 260. Since the fish died, I had my LFS test my water as my test kits were out of date (showed clear) and all came back clear. I use Seachem ammonia alerts and these didn't flag anything either. While I was at the store I picked up three small Ottos and 12 neon tetra just to keep the tank going and I also got two assassin snails to tackle the snail infestation. I'm also manually removing snails as I can.

Having had a single big fish for the last few years I'm looking for inspiration for a community setup. I don't mind having small fish but would like as much colour as possible. I was thinking maybe some rainbowfish but I don't know anything about them.

I have the stock Juwel filtration plus an additional stick-on fluval filter for back-up. Tank is kept at 26C and does get some sunlight. I have a few small plants in it (which the Oscar kept in check) but have otherwise cleared out my ornaments while tackling the snails

Thoughts / advice / opinions appreciated!

Thanks

First, we need to know your ph, (and if your tank is cycled or not) and your GH (General hardness) before we can suggest anything. What kind of snails did you say you had in your tank?

Tank is cycled, had been home to the oscar for the last few years.

I've never tested for GH, we don't have hard water where I'm from (ROI).

My ph is 7.5-8 iirc.

I don't know what type of snails they are, they are tiny and appeared when I took a cutting of a friends plants for my own tank.

Are they blue and in a Rams Horn shape? Or are they Trumpet shaped? Check out this thread: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/freshwater-snail-species-in-the-hobby.424364/

And get back to me on what your snails look like. Or, post a picture via the “Attach files” button.
I would say more trumpet shaped but the larger ones have a red colouring.

I've attached an image but it's very hard to get a good one of them, I'll try for a better one when I get home from work.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-01-22 at 20.10.18.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-22 at 20.10.18.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 104
Interesting, I will have to see a better picture in order to properly identify it. Ok, I’ll respond once you get a better picture. ;)

No problem! :)

Firstly, as Phoenix mentioned, we need to know your tap water parameter before you can select your fish.

If your tap provides soft water, then you can go for most fish from South America (Dwarf Cichlids, Tetras, Corydoras) some fish from Asia (Rasboras, Loaches, etc).
If you want something more interesting and beautiful but more challenging, you can try Discus and the Eartheater:

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/a-survey-of-eartheaters-full-article.htm

But if your tap provides hard water (depending on the hardness level), you can go for African fish, Central America fish, some Australian fish, Live bearer like Guppies, Mollies, Platies, etc.

Get a big group of schooling fish with some individual fish to make your tank more interesting and lively.
Also, get fish that prefer different level of water (top, middle, bottom).

Here are some information of fish prefer level.

Last edited:
As for your snails, while assasin snails will eat other snail they will in turn proliferate and you will have an over abundance of assasin snails as they easily breed and can take over a tank as well. Never understood using snails to eliminate snails? Depending how big you tank is clown loaches make quick work of snails, clown loaches can get big though and need to be in groups so require large tanks.

the recent sudden death of my Oscar (this was almost in tandem with a snail infestation - related?)

Yes, it could have been related. Not that the snails killed the Oscar by any means, but an increase in snails means increasing organics (their food) and this usually means higher nitrates. And cichlids are very sensitive to nitrates which weaken them and that can lead to various issues and death. Do you happen to know the nitrate level back then?

I have praecox rainbows and neon tetra, the blues compliment well and the size contrasts nicely. Both well behaved, shoal nicely, rainbows slightly more determined feeders but neons aren't disadvantaged. I'm new to Rainbows so go to @Colin_T for knowledge on them.

We have soft water here in Dublin.

I am looking for a community setup so not interested in the effort and expense of discus I'm afraid, although they are fantastic fish!

I am thinking so far:
  • 12 no. Neon Tetra (have already)
  • 3 no. Oto (have already)
  • 6. no congo tetra,
  • 2 no. dwarf gourami,
  • 6 no. dwarf rainbowfish,
  • 6 no. cherry barb,
  • 10 no. ember tetra,
  • 6 no. celestial pearl danio
  • 2 no. assasin snail (have already
I am looking for inspiration for what other species would go well with the above mix, or maybe I will just increase the shoal sizes of the shoaling fish over time. The tank is 68 US gallons.

What about a group of rainbow sharks they are larger but when healthy are beautiful and I have kept them with neons

We have soft water here in Dublin.

I am looking for a community setup so not interested in the effort and expense of discus I'm afraid, although they are fantastic fish!

I am thinking so far:
  • 12 no. Neon Tetra (have already)
  • 3 no. Oto (have already)
  • 6. no congo tetra,
  • 2 no. dwarf gourami,
  • 6 no. dwarf rainbowfish,
  • 6 no. cherry barb,
  • 10 no. ember tetra,
  • 6 no. celestial pearl danio
  • 2 no. assasin snail (have already
I am looking for inspiration for what other species would go well with the above mix, or maybe I will just increase the shoal sizes of the shoaling fish over time. The tank is 68 US gallons.

If you go with Congo Tetra, double the group. Ten or more, and a relatively even male/female ratio works best. I had 10 (5 male/5 female) in my 90g for several years. They will remain mid/upper level. But this needs floating plants, or they will move lower down.

Cherry barbs, also more of them. Generally, when you have the space, the more you get of a shoaling species the healthier they will be. But cherry barbs do have other issues that improve with more.

Agree CPD will not work here. I would reconsider the Dwarf Gourami, they will bee out of place with most of the slightly more active shoaling species.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back