Stocking Advice And Compatibility

sean0151

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I am presently cycling a 600 ltr tank (aqua one aquience 1800r)and am producing a stocking plan for when its complete.
I have been researching a lot and differant places seem to say differant things with regards compatibility.
I have used ##143### which doesnt seem to highlight to musch of a problems with my present list but another compatibility site says im way off.

What do you think and advise about this list
8 x turquise rainbow fish
4 x clown loach (already have these in a smaller tank,only 2inch at the moment so they must be in any list)
2 x blue gourami
2 x kribensis
2 x blood red parrot fish
2 x angel fish
2 x bolivian rams.
I would also like 2xblue rams but belive not a beginners fish.
Have also thought about a shoal of zebra danios but would they get eaten by any of the above fish

Also what is everyones opinion on ##143### and its accuracey.
Kind regards
Sean

aquadvisor is rubbish youve got loads of room left only unknown anomolie on your list are the parrot fish which are a bit unpredictable because of them being a hybrid. Fairly certain if you got a nasty one your angels wouldnt last long.

Dont go for blue rams as they need higher temperatures you would be better off getting more bolivian rams. Danios would be okay but get a big shoal other wise they will look lost in there.

Any other fish you were thinking of? I would maybe get 2 more clown loaches as well :)

Wills

I agree with Wills on everything he has said.
Parrots can be extremely aggressive and very unpredictable in behaviour. Als worries me when they are labelled as Blood Red as that can mean that they are dyed.
I'd up the number of Gouramies to 5 or more but aim for more females than males.

Equally, you may get a nasty angel as well... fair few cichlids in that tank.

I would agree get hold of another 2-3 clown loaches.

Equally, you may get a nasty angel as well... fair few cichlids in that tank.

Yeah but in a 600 liter tank 2 rams 2 angels and 2 kribs is nothing if it wasnt for the kribs I would recommend sevs and geos in that tank as well. But kribs are again a little unpredictable with american cichlids at time IME.

Wills

Hi
Wow.thanks for fast responses.
Guess the parrots are out then.
Are the mixture of cichlids going to cause a problem?Are the angels usually aggresive?I may rethink them if they are as wife and child would flip if things got nasty.
How about kissing gouramis instead of upping the blues to 5 to replace the parrot fish or even maybe a few boesiman rainbows.

Any more suggestions that would be compatible,Hoping for colourful,interesting stuff (i suppose everyone is)
I will up the loaches to 5 or 6 as they are my favourite any how.
Regards
Sean

Angels are cichlids and its always a bit unpredictable but you shouldnt have an issue really in that size tank with those numbers. Kissing gourami can be a bit aggressive at times so maybe stick with the blues or a good alternative to blues (in a contrasting kind of way) orange thick lipped gourami very bright a bit smaller than blues and much more peaceful and less problematic and for those reasons one of my favorite gourami along with the pearls.

In a tank that size and with those kind of fish I would be tempted to add in some decent sized peaceful south american cichlids like Severums, you get your red spot gold severum, golds or your greens and a lot of intersting sub species like sp Belum and sp Tapajo if you can find them. I would also reccomend geophagus like Geophagus sp Tapajo red head very nice fish and really peaceful esp with the fish you mentioned. Any of the geos would be good in that tank :) Adding an other group of bosmani rainbows seems like a good idea as well :)

In regards to general cichlid aggression, while you sometimes get very aggressive individuals you will sometimes just get a pecking order where you get a dominant fish (amongst the territorial fish) and then a hierachy beneath them and everyone will have their place as they grow. Behaviour you might get from these fish (gourami and angels included) is flaring and showing off to each other and or a bit of chasing which isnt a bad thing it just happens and they will soon get distracted and swim off. With your tank it will be even better because you are having shoaling fish like the rainbows which will be things called dither fish which basically mean that if 2 of the bigger fish have issues and something starts the pretty, zoomy, colourful shoal will distract them and again they go their own ways a bit like a pretty girl walking past a fight :p

a few other fish just of the top of my head for you to google see if you like them, pictus catfish, hoplo catfish, spotted headstandrs, columbian tetras, striped headstanders, black ruby barbs, harlequin rasbora, flame tetras, silver dollars, sunny plec, jaguar catfish, denison barbs, marbled headstander, keyhole cichlid, firemouth, blue acara erm thats all for now

wills

Cheers Wills.
Thats given me some googleing to do.
That will pass my nightshift away.
Sean

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back