Stocking a new tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hellstorm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello, all i got my 46 gallon and i started fish cycling. i put in 2 gold gouramis, 2 pearl gouramis and 2 bronze cats(all no where near full size), ill put 'cycle' in the tank everyweek. i put the driftwood ,some plants and the rock cave from my established tank into the new 46 gal.

my questions are:

are there too many fish to start the cycle?
will 'cycle' help at all?
can u keep gold gouramis with cardinal tetras and rummys?

thanks for all answers

I'm not a fan of using fish to cycle - infact never tried it -_-

but thought you were supposed to use 'hardy species' which wouldn't include gouramis or bronze cats (I assume these are corries in which case they should be introduced to a mature aquarium) IMO

Using some filter material/gunge from your existing set-up would be the best/quickest way to cycle your new tank.

Test the water every day and be prepared to do some large water changes

can u keep gold gouramis with cardinal tetras and rummys? - yes if they live

:)

I'm with wet, I don't like using fish to cycle, but if you're going to, then zebra danios are really hardy and have a better survival chance than gouramis. I also agree that corys should be introduced to a mature aquarium. Anyway, good luck with your tank!

are there too many fish to start the cycle?
will 'cycle' help at all?

Its a big tank so you may get away with it if you keep constant ammonia and nitrIte testing the tank until they are 0, if nitrite or ammonia get above one do a 10% water change and then test the next day, and, if needed, repeat the change. This should stop your fish dying, due to spikes which may occur in your tank water.

'cycle' and the effects of it are debatable although its seems overwhelming people say it probably has little/no effect but if you've got it you might as well use it :thumbs:

well i read in this book that to start off with a corydoras species cos wen feedin if the food sinks down to the gravel it wont just ly there to create ammonia. whats the best thing i can do now?

The best thing to do now is as Will said, test daily for ammonia and nitrite and do water changes when necessary. I'm sure that your fishies will be fine. Water changes prolong the cycle but keep the fishies happier.

They should do if you keep the testing going and change about 10-20% of the water if/when the spikes go over 1ppm. Its a big tank, I have seen a guy try that with about 10guppies a 20gallon using that to cycle, he kept up his changes and all of his fishes survived. Good luck! :)

testing everyday would make me poor!
cos here in nz its 20$ for 5 tests nitrite and ammonia
i only get 10$ a week of pocket money :(

anyother ways?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back