Stocking a 6x2x2 for CA/SA cichlids.

MojoDex

Fish Addict
Reaction score
On Saturday I moved the 8 fish that were left in my 6x2x2 into a spare 4x2x2, leaving me with an empty tank. I want to keep something I've never kept before, for the last 15 years I have primarily kept African Cichlids, mainly Tanganyikans. I have had a go with most things over the years, but I've never tried any of the Central or South American cichlids(with the exception of a very ill-advised Buttikoferi when I was 16) and this is the way I'm leaning.

So rather than assume I know what I'm talking about, I thought I'd get some stocking suggestions from people who have actually kept these fish!

My initial thoughts are a small group of Geos maybe 5-6, I really like the look of Geophagus surinamensis, a small group of Firemouths maybe 3-5, a Jack Dempsey (or two if my setup would allow), possibly an Oscar. I would like to semi plant the tank and suspect at least the Geos are very incompatible with that, but ultimately, I'm open to ideas regarding this setup, these are just my initial thoughts and it's entirely possible some of these fish are not compatible at all.

The filtration on the tank will be an Eheim 1200xl and a 1500xl.

On Saturday I moved the 8 fish that were left in my 6x2x2 into a spare 4x2x2, leaving me with an empty tank. I want to keep something I've never kept before, for the last 15 years I have primarily kept African Cichlids, mainly Tanganyikans. I have had a go with most things over the years, but I've never tried any of the Central or South American cichlids(with the exception of a very ill-advised Buttikoferi when I was 16) and this is the way I'm leaning.

So rather than assume I know what I'm talking about, I thought I'd get some stocking suggestions from people who have actually kept these fish!

My initial thoughts are a small group of Geos maybe 5-6, I really like the look of Geophagus surinamensis, a small group of Firemouths maybe 3-5, a Jack Dempsey (or two if my setup would allow), possibly an Oscar. I would like to semi plant the tank and suspect at least the Geos are very incompatible with that, but ultimately, I'm open to ideas regarding this setup, these are just my initial thoughts and it's entirely possible some of these fish are not compatible at all.

The filtration on the tank will be an Eheim 1200xl and a 1500xl.
Iā€™d say keep to south or central and avoid mixing , I keep severum with blue acara and keyholes used to have a group of 4 geophagus dicrozoster in there also , Iā€™d swap out the fire mouths for some triangle cichlids and the jd for a green terror , and keep all South American if you have your heart set of geos

Iā€™d say keep to south or central and avoid mixing , I keep severum with blue acara and keyholes used to have a group of 4 geophagus dicrozoster in there also , Iā€™d swap out the fire mouths for some triangle cichlids and the jd for a green terror , and keep all South American if you have your heart set of geos
If I'm honest, it's the Jack Dempsey and the Firemouths I really want to keep. The Geos were just a sand sifter really, much as I do like them. Does CA have any sand sifters?

That said, I'm still going to have a look at what you've recommended.

Last edited:
If I'm honest, it's the Jack Dempsey and the Firemouths I really want to keep. The Geos were just a sand sifter really, much as I do like them. Does CA have any sand sifters?

That said, I'm still going to have a look at what you've recommended.
I think Eliot cichlids sand sift a little and there gorgeous lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back