Stocking A 56 Gallon Column

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rlhirth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so we have as said in the title a cycles 56 gallon column that used to house my clown knife but when i moved and couldnt take the tank with me from my parents house i had to rehome him...

well i told my sister she could use to tank if she would like sence it is still cycled... and i introduced her to gouramis and she kinda fell for them...

so she wanted to know if she can keep just gouramis?
she really likes the Opaline and dwarfs! and i have a store that will order femals if we ask...

if so what would you stock a 56 gallon with?

if not what gouramis and then what else?

here is how the tank sits now... i was thinking of having a try at live plants... (been having luck with a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon) but either way it needs a new scape...
DSC03333.jpg

its a little cluttered right now but my juvile knife liked the cover..

so we have as said in the title a cycles 56 gallon column that used to house my clown knife but when i moved and couldnt take the tank with me from my parents house i had to rehome him...

well i told my sister she could use to tank if she would like sence it is still cycled... and i introduced her to gouramis and she kinda fell for them...

so she wanted to know if she can keep just gouramis?
she really likes the Opaline and dwarfs! and i have a store that will order femals if we ask...

if so what would you stock a 56 gallon with?

if not what gouramis and then what else?

here is how the tank sits now... i was thinking of having a try at live plants... (been having luck with a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon) but either way it needs a new scape...
DSC03333.jpg

its a little cluttered right now but my juvile knife liked the cover..

mixing opaline and dwarf gouramis is probably not a great idea. dwarfs will be dominated and if not killed, they'll live a stressed life of hiding.

the opaline gourami is a color morph of the 3-spot gourami (sometimes just called the blue gourami). 3 spot gouramis are up there with the most aggressive of gouramis. even the females can be nasty at times.

i think you'd need to choose between opalines and dwarfs and then go from there. you could try something like 3 opalines (1 male, 2 female) with a variety of semi-aggressive tankmates... or you could try 20 male dwarf gouramis (might not be a good idea, but i hear they give up on being territorial when theyre in big numbers). or you could go for 3 male dwarf gouramis (1 of each color strain) and surround them with peaceful tankmates.

yeah only keep one species of gourami in a tank with females outnumbering males
gouramis are perfect tank mates for almost every non aggresive species
that requires the same water conditions

gouramis are perfect tank mates for almost every non aggresive species

i think that might be an overstatement. i'd take caution in putting any of the more aggressive gouramis (like 3-spots or paradise fish) in with non-aggressive fish. I'm not saying it can't work, but there have been countless reports of the gouramis getting nasty.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back