Stocking a 30 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
So, as some of you might know, i've got two tanks. The 65g is doing great, albeit for a small algae problem (i've got both brown and green algae, how does that work out?!), but the 30g has been left empty for a fairly long time.

Yesterday, i got two siamese algae eaters which i intended to put in the 65g. Then only did i notice that at their current size, they'd get demolished. Thus, i had no choice but to set up the 30g. Sure, i could just keep the two of them there temporarily, fatten them up, then put them where they are supposed to be, but that's no fun!

Basically its a 30g, with two SAEs, running a box filter (which i seeded with my 65g). Any whacky, fun suggestion?

P.T.

ps: i forgot, the water is neutral-acidic. and i dont plan to put any plants in there, maybe just some driftwood and stuff.

I'd go for something you don't have in your 65. Maybe a bit of everything lol, thats what I plan on. I'm sorry I can't really suggest fish, because all I know are common ones and I dont know whats in your other tank either :lol: Hope you get some more helpful advice...

Smaller tanks are great for nice schools of tetras. You could easily put 15 or so tetras in there or maybe 10 tetras and 5 or 6 corys.

If youve got two bottom feeders already why not do a benthotic community tank..I've always wanted to..all bottom feeders and crabs/snails.

-Cheater-

Well, i already got a colony of malaysian trumpet snails in there, do they count? :lol:

My other tank consists of predators, 3 slant-nosed gars, 1 mystus cat (not sure exactly which species), 2 featherfin synodontis, 2 senegal bichirs, 1 twig cat, 1 banjo cat and 1 yellow lab.

I think i'll definitely go for cories, probably bronze. They're the most common, but also my favorites!

Just having bottom feeders doesnt really sound attractive to me, i want activity on all levels of the tank. I could go with the usual gourami + tetras set up, but i want something funky.

Any suggestions would do, really, no matter how mad it is!

P.T.

You don't want to plant? :p I was going to suggest a modified tetra + gourami set-up - a school of hatchetfish, a pair of spiketailed paradisefish and the cories plus the SAEs (which I'm assuming you want to move out once they've grown a bit?).

Seeing as you don't want to plant though, maybe go for something extra colorful with some of the larger rainbowfish - melanotaenia lacustris or m. boesmani for example besides the 2 SAEs and a small group of loaches instead of cories for the bottom. Maybe zebra loaches for example. Or, if you feel you'll be over-stocked with those bigger rainbows, neon blue/dwarf/praecox rainbows or threadfins would make good substitutes.

I'd also consider some of the more peaceful cichlids. Bolivian rams, kribs, any dwarf cichlids that won't have a problem with the lack of plants, keyholes possibly etc.

I also wanted, myself, to make a tank based on a striped theme - the SAEs are striped... Maybe get some zebra danios, penguin tetras, five banded barbs, tiger barbs, otos or any of the various black/white or stripe-patterned cories or plecs to go for a striped OR black/white-marked theme.

Have you ever heard of fresh water hallibit. They are a trip.. So are fresh water rays. Or the cool pipe fish.

Tim

I don't think you could keep those in a 30 gallon though or not with the SAE.

Why not make half aquarium and half terrarium. I forget at the moment the proper title for such a habitat, but aquatic newts are very fun to watch as are the rest of the action below water level. :)

If not that then go with the tigerbarbs, magnificently attractive and also very lively.

Or how about a big school of gold tetra or black neon tetra.

Say, sylvia, i like that suggestion. Annastasia just recommended those spike-tailed paradise fish to me the other day, and i think they look great! So, maybe i could have the paradise fish as the centrepiece for the tank.

Would keeping paradish fish rule out tiger barbs? Or do i just need to get a good school of them so they dont get nippy?

P.T.

what about making it into a african cichlid Malwai Mbuna tank with 6 yellow labs -_-

Your predetor tank is coming along nicley! any chance of pics?

DD

PT one word my little friend, EXODONS you'll love e'm

Exodons! Forgot bout those critters... unfortunately i already got a coupla tiger barbs... though i could always trade them in later. How are yours coming along anyway, anymore cannibalism?

DD, unfortunately (my tragic tale of digital cameras goes on), my dad got the wrong sort of batteries for the cam. He seems pretty darned reluctant to get that camera working!

P.T.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back