Stocking A 29 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Soupy97

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this forum has been very helpful to me, and I figured I would join to help out as much as I can and have some questions answered for myself.

I am not a beginner to fishkeeping, but im not very experienced either. I had a 20 gallon (high) tank for two years, with the last sixth months having live plants. It was originally a community tank, but when I switched to live plants I also switched to semi-aggressive. Long story short, it became disease ridden and most things died (bought a bad fish from petco... never buying from there again).

Anyways, I am now planning on buying a 29 gallon tank, which will be relatively heavily planted and semi-aggressive. I was wondering if I could get some advice on how well these fish would work in the tank:

1 x Angle Fish (maybe marble veil?)
5 x Agassiz Cory Cats
1 x Blue Gourami
2 x German Blue Ram

This is what I am worried about (there may be other issues I am overlooking):

1. Im wondering how well these fish will get along (generally speaking), i realize the gourami and angel fish could be problematic.
  • Will the cory cats be bullied?
  • If the blue rams end up breeding, will their aggression be too problematic?
2. Im afraid some of these fish will destroy/eat my plants... especially the blue gourami. Should I be worried about this?

3. I used Aq Advisor to check the bioload, and it came up with about 97%, recommending a 30% water change every week. Does this sound about right?

4. I know bioload isn't everything, and I feel like these fish are not too big for the tank, I could be mistaken though.

If there are some serious issues with the way I want to stock my tank, alternate setups would be great. That said, I really want to try and make this work.

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't think the tanks big enough for angels. They're just so tall as adults and need a very wide tank. Depending on the personality of your blue gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) he may start all kinds of problems. Getting a female will lessen this risk but I wouldn't personally mix them with rams and angels in a tank that size. BUT sometimes they're fine so with just the rams and corys... it miiiight be ok. I would also aim for a bit more corys (6-7)

Ok thanks for the advice.

It turns out i might not be restricted to a 29 gallon though, and i might be getting a 45. I think that would solve the problem of the angel fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back