April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lsoucy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Recently I got a 3.5 gallon betta tank in January and I have been preparing to cycle/set up a new 20H Gallon tank and I am starting to figure out what kind of fish to stock the tank with. I have my heart set on a community tank because I love the idea of having different kinds of fish! I have been looking everywhere but no website seems to state how many fish to put in the tank. I would be interested in guppies, mollies, neon tetras, possibly a dwarf gourami as a focal point and a bottom feeder, maybe a rubbernose pleco (I was recommended corydoras but the person I talked to recommended at least three and I want room for other fish). I realize that I cannot get every single fish I want because then the tank would be overcrowded. Hopefully someone has some tips to share!
Thanks,
Lauren

Before we can properly recommend species or numbers of fish for you, we need to know the dimensions of the tank (as some fish need more swimming room than others), and the pH and hardness of your water, as some fish (like guppies and mollies) need hard water to do well, whereas others (like neon tetras and gouramis) need soft water to thrive.

Before we can properly recommend species or numbers of fish for you, we need to know the dimensions of the tank (as some fish need more swimming room than others), and the pH and hardness of your water, as some fish (like guppies and mollies) need hard water to do well, whereas others (like neon tetras and gouramis) need soft water to thrive.
I just barely got the tank yesterday and we are waiting on the stand to fill the tank with water so I have not been able to start cycling yet. The dimensions on my tank are 24"L x 13"W x 17"H. Sorry I do not have a pH or hardness to give you yet. I just want to get a general idea if it is possible

Last edited:
It is pretty much impossible for us to say "x" number of fish. This is not only a question of fish size and tank volume, but the interaction of fish within a species (some species are shoaling, requiring a group) and the interaction of species factors in. Then there is the aquascaping...some fish need specific substrate, decor (real or artificial to provide the same thing). And water parameters are essential. Some fish need soft water, some moderately hard, some in the middle.

For example, you mention "guppies, mollies, neon tetras, possibly a dwarf gourami, and a bottom feeder" and right off there are fish here that will not work together, or in a 20g. We can narrow this down once we have the parameters.

Your source water is presumably tap water, so check the website of the water authority; most give data on the water. We need to know the GH (general or total hardness) and pH particularly.

It is pretty much impossible for us to say "x" number of fish. This is not only a question of fish size and tank volume, but the interaction of fish within a species (some species are shoaling, requiring a group) and the interaction of species factors in. Then there is the aquascaping...some fish need specific substrate, decor (real or artificial to provide the same thing). And water parameters are essential. Some fish need soft water, some moderately hard, some in the middle.

For example, you mention "guppies, mollies, neon tetras, possibly a dwarf gourami, and a bottom feeder" and right off there are fish here that will not work together, or in a 20g. We can narrow this down once we have the parameters.

Your source water is presumably tap water, so check the website of the water authority; most give data on the water. We need to know the GH (general or total hardness) and pH particularly.
Thank you for your insight. I am trying my hardest to learn about fish keeping because I think it is a very fun hobby. I will come back on this website once I have cycled my tank. I mentioned all of those fish together because those fish were first suggested to me all in a list pretty much identical to the one I copied into my post.

Before I begin to cycle my tank, I just have one question. When do I put in the water conditioner? I have also been thinking of planting my tank and am still trying my hardest to learn all I can through research and asking around.

You add water conditioner to any new water, before you put it into the tank.

There is a lot to learn, but we were all beginners once, and everyone is here to help you :)

Most reactions

Back