Stocking A 180l Tank With Mbuna-advise Pls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

misspiggy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

We have a 180 litre tank that we are going to keep cichlids in. After researching a bit i think we have chosen the fish we'd like, but just want to confirm that they'll be ok together.

Ideas so far -
3 x pseudotropheus saulosi
3 x cynotilapia afra
3 x labidochromis caeruleus.

Will that overstock the tank? Is there room for any more? And would you recommend adding a plec at all?

The tank has sand substrate an external filter and we will be adding rocks today. It has been homing mollies, but these are to be moved to our smaller tank.

I'd probably add another afra and saulosi and 2 more labs, then you'd be fully stocked. Also thought I'd point out that since labs and female saulosi look similar you may have so interbreeding issues, but as long as you don't sell or give away any fry it's not a problem. You could get away with a bn plec, just remember that your mbuna will also eat algae and that plecs poo a lot.

And since your overstocking your tank (as you always do with mbuna) you'll want to make sure that by the time they are adults you have enough filtration to turnover your entire tank 8-12 times per hour. :good:

hmmm.....maybe you should try to add some socolofi cichlids or a cobalt cichlid,I don't suggest you add a pleco,the pleco has some advantages but the disadvantages are more.Here is a list of the advantages and the disadvantages:
disadvantages
advantages:
(1)eat's and control's algea growth.

disadvantages:
(1)poop's a lot wich can upset the nitrate level.
(2)take's over other cichlids cave or hiding places.
(3)eats other fishes eggs.
(4)grow's to a monstrous size.

Thanks guys. Going to leave the plec and just get the cichlids. Don't fancy the interbreeding so may drop the labs and go with cobalt cichlids instead. Just wanted to have some bright colours in there.
Also need to check the filter, it came with the tank, and i'm not sure what it is.

Thanks guys. Going to leave the plec and just get the cichlids. Don't fancy the interbreeding so may drop the labs and go with cobalt cichlids instead. Just wanted to have some bright colours in there.
Also need to check the filter, it came with the tank, and i'm not sure what it is.

I'm going to have to disagree with the cobalts (metriclima callainos) in your tank. They're a bit too aggressive for a smaller tank, they were definitely the boss of my 75gal, and while they never killed anyone the fights could get a little heated.

Pseudotropheus socolofi or Iodotropheus sprengerae would be good alternatives.

I'm going to have to disagree with the cobalts (metriclima callainos) in your tank. They're a bit too aggressive for a smaller tank, they were definitely the boss of my 75gal, and while they never killed anyone the fights could get a little heated.

Pseudotropheus socolofi or Iodotropheus sprengerae would be good alternatives.

Thanks, i like the sprengerae.
So pseudotropheus saulosi x 4
Cynotilapia afra x 4
iodotropheus spegerae x 4 or 5?

My filter only does 800 litres an hour, so i'm going to need to invest in another. You said when they are fully grown i'd need more filtration, but would you recommend i get it straight away?

hmmm.....maybe you should try to add some socolofi cichlids or a cobalt cichlid,I don't suggest you add a pleco,the pleco has some advantages but the disadvantages are more.Here is a list of the advantages and the disadvantages:
disadvantages
advantages:
(1)eat's and control's algae growth.

disadvantages:
(1)poop's a lot which can upset the nitrate level.
(2)take's over other cichlids cave or hiding places.
(3)eats other fishes eggs.
(4)grows to a monstrous size.
I respectfully disagree.

Yes they poop a lot, which is why regular water changes and siphoning is necessary(with any fish tank, not just ones w/plecos)

They don't take over all the caves. Have one plec and they can only sleep in one spot at a time. An african cichlid mbuna tank should have multiple caves w/rock work going at least half way up the back wall. Plenty of caves for all fish.

They don't all grow to a monstrous size. This is where proper research is required.

---edit
1 more thing I missed. Mbuna are mouthbrooders so the plecs won't eat their eggs unless the fish decides to get rid of them.

Thanks, i like the sprengerae.
So pseudotropheus saulosi x 4
Cynotilapia afra x 4
iodotropheus spegerae x 4 or 5?

My filter only does 800 litres an hour, so i'm going to need to invest in another. You said when they are fully grown i'd need more filtration, but would you recommend i get it straight away?

I'd go with 4 sprengerae. Your filter should be fine for probably 3-4 months, by that time your cichlids will be getting larger and needing more filtration. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back