Stocking a 10 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bcbarnes

Reaction score
I am setting up a 10gal tank. My plan is to get some Neon Tetras and Endlers, probably 3 of each. I'm also looking into Cherry shrimp, which I understand have a very small bioload, so maybe 6 of those.

I'm also putting some live plants in, but other than red root floaters and java / xmas moss, I'm not sure what.

I also am setting up a 10gal tank. My plan is to get some Neon Tetras and Endlers, probably 3 of each.
Unfortunately there are problems with this stocking.

Neons are soft water fish; endlers are hard water fish. One or other won't be happy.
Neons are shoaling fish so need a group of at least 6 with more being better.
Neons need a tank at least 24 inches long to give them enough swimming room.
Endlers (males only) are OK for 10 gallons, provided the water is hard enough, as are cherry shrimps.

The first step is to find out how hard your water is. If you are on mains water, your water provider's website should have that information. If you are on a well, you could either take some tap water to a fish store and ask them to test it, or buy a GH tester.

Unfortunately there are problems with this stocking.

Thanks for the info. That's why I'm still planning - about 2 weeks into cycling so I've got some time. Currently GH = 150ppm, KH = 120ppm. I do like the look of the neons but sounds like my tank isn't big enough. Maybe next time. I'll double check the Endlers, of course, and see if they will work out. Being an engineer by trade, digging into the details and making all the different pieces fit together is one of the fun parts of this hobby for me. :)

Last edited:
150 ppm is the top end of soft. It's the same as 8.4 dH.

It might be too soft for endlers, though @emeraldking will be able to say whether it is too low or not.
Ember tetras are suitable for a small tank and are OK at your GH. They don't look much in the store as they are pales and stressed but they are a deep orange once they've settled in.
Rice fish would also be OK - I have Daisy's rice fish, Oryzias woworae - well I have the last three females from a shoal I bought 5 years ago. They are not very long lived fish.

Well, bcbarnes has already send me a pm. I've already replied.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back