Stocking a 10 gallon tank, any suggestions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
But back to my point in this present post, when I see something that is possibly a problem, I feel the need to comment, just in case. So again, thank you for setting the record straight. But I wonder how many inexperienced members may have run with the idea?
I appreciate that immensely! Thank you for letting me know your concerns!

I personally stock my tanks minimally. 5 Rosy Barbs in 36 Gallons. 7 Giant Danios and a Snowflake Pleco (my old stock) in a 55g. Water chemistry is harder in a small tank. Better to stock minimally. I am interested in rarer fish: maybe a trio of Rainbow Pipefish.

I personally stock my tanks minimally. 5 Rosy Barbs in 36 Gallons. 7 Giant Danios and a Snowflake Pleco (my old stock) in a 55g. Water chemistry is harder in a small tank. Better to stock minimally. I am interested in rarer fish: maybe a trio of Rainbow Pipefish.
Interesting! Thank you!

Thank you for addressing it, I shall try to be more mindful of how my posts come across in the future! I too have a great love for the hobby and would be heartbroken to be the cause of someone thinking it alright to ignore a law, especially when it comes to fishkeeping.

I feel that the inability to discuss topics such as climate change, global warming, Coronavirus, evolution, and other hotly debated topics with someone who does not share the same beliefs on the matter as you is not because you don’t both agree, personally I feel like it is because of a lack of respect for the other persons views, beliefs, and opinions. I personally do not believe in evolution. I do believe that, within a species, over time there can be changes that are passed on from parent to offspring over the course of generations which can result in a new breed or variety, such as a wild rabbit eventually over generations of selectively being bred has resulted in many breeds, such as Holland Lops, Flemish Giants, Mini Rex, Californian, and so on. BUT I do not PERSONALLY believe that, say, a rabbit over the course of millions of years evolved into a more complex life form such as a horse. But I respect the fact that some people believe that is possible. I don’t have to agree with someone to respect them and their beliefs

I am responding here only to point out a misassumption, not to engage in any discussion on evolution. I certainly respect people's right to their opinions, but I will not discuss subjects like these with those who refuse to accept proven science, as there is no point.

The misassumption is thinking that "evolution" involves the evolution of a rabbit into a horse--that is not at all possible. Evolution is still occurring in the fish species we keep in our tanks, in nature I mean not in our tanks, as a species adjusts to some change for whatever reason. Take the Corydoras species for one example; we now know through phylogenetic analysis of the DNA of each species that certain species evolved from a different common ancestor than the other species; shifting geological events may have separated these, and they will then evolve differently according to the need to reproduce and survive, an instinct that is uppermost in all species. There are insects that evolve within the space of one year, because of their short lifespan which causes their evolution (if it is going to occur for some reason) to be rapid.

I am responding here only to point out a misassumption, not to engage in any discussion on evolution. I certainly respect people's right to their opinions, but I will not discuss subjects like these with those who refuse to accept proven science, as there is no point.

The misassumption is thinking that "evolution" involves the evolution of a rabbit into a horse--that is not at all possible.
I did not assume that was what evolution was, that was an example I was once given by someone who claimed to believe in evolution. I am young and have not had the opportunity to meet many people and discuss their beliefs on evolution, and I apologize if I offended anyone with my very limited view on the subject

I did not assume that was what evolution was, that was an example I was once given by someone who claimed to believe in evolution. I am young and have not had the opportunity to meet many people and discuss their beliefs on evolution, and I apologize if I offended anyone with my very limited view on the subject

You offended no one. I'm 70 now and my views in this area have most assuredly changed over the years as I've come to understand this and that, and my fish have taught me much. :fish:

You offended no one. I'm 70 now and my views in this area have most assuredly changed over the years as I've come to understand this and that, and my fish have taught me much. :fish:
It is great to have members here who have such vast experience with not just fish, but also the rest of the world!

Alright! I should be able to test our water hardness tomorrow! IF guppies and pygmy cories would work, how many of each does everyone think would be a good number?

Oh! I had another question! (I really actually do bother to do research, sometimes it is easier to get people’s advice to my SPECIFIC question though) Would I be able to add some shrimp and snails to the 10 gallon tank tomorrow? We will be at my LFS and I know they just got a shipment which had lots of red cherry shrimp and nerite snails, and was wondering if they can be affected by ich or if it has been long enough since there have been no fish in the tank that it would be alright? I am doing a 100% water change tonight and plant to do another one tomorrow before I leave. If it is alright, I would probably bring home 10 snails and maybe 10 shrimp, but it depends. My LFS offers this “cleaning crew discount” so if I buy 10 of a variety of snail or 10 of a variety of Shrimp I only have to pay $10 for all 10, which is a great deal, but I have to make sure it applies to cherry shrimp and nerite snails.

I also had a question about my GH. Is it alright to take a sample of my sink water to my LFS and have them test it for me, or would it be better for me to buy a GH test kit (they sell the API GH test kit for like $9 I think) I would rather NOT have to spend $9, but I am willing to if that is the better option! We are on well water if that makes any difference. I would LIKE to be able to take a sample, so I can know if cherry shrimp and nerite snails would work in our GH, but I can always bring a sample and if they won’t test it just buy the test kit and run out to my car and test it then come back inside and buy my shrimp.

I plan to go look at the shrimp and see if they have any especially nice looking ones, is There a good number I should look to get?

Last edited:
I will leave the shrimp and snail questions to those with experience, I have never had shrimp (too many fish that would eat them for one thing!) nor "fancy" snails (just the little worker snails).

Re the GH, you may never use the test again, so save your money. Once you know the GH of your source water, you will know where you stand. Only if you were to go down the road of adjusting water parameters on a permanent basis would you need a GH/KH test. The pH is different, this is a valuable thing to test periodically, and can often alert you to trouble (let's hope not). Once an aquarium is biologically balanced, and with regular substantial partial water changes, the pH should never vary more than a couple of decimal places for years. Same holds for nitrates, they should never increase or something is wrong. My tanks have had the same readings for pH and nitrate every time I have tested, for more than 10 years now.

Hello! I sadly find myself with an empty 10 gallon tank. It has a sand substrate, some dragon stone, and by the time I am ready for more fish it will (hopefully) be between moderately and heavily planted with Amazon Sword, Water Sprite, Dwarf Sag, a variety of Ludwigia, and other plants. I am hesitant to try another betta. I also think that our water may be too hard for bettas? I am ordering a gh test kit off amazon, so I don't know the gh right now but I do know that the PH is 7.5. I was thinking maybe guppies and pygmy cories. But I want to hear what my other options may be!
I definitely recommend platys! They are so personable and are beautiful colors and shapes! If you keep the tank clean- you can do mollies instead but that is up to you!

All livebearers are so cool and do well in 10g (mollies are controversial haha but I have had a great experience with it).

You can also do a community tank of cories or tetras!

Re the GH, you may never use the test again, so save your money. Once you know the GH of your source water, you will know where you stand. Only if you were to go down the road of adjusting water parameters on a permanent basis would you need a GH/KH test. The pH is different, this is a valuable thing to test periodically, and can often alert you to trouble (let's hope not). Once an aquarium is biologically balanced, and with regular substantial partial water changes, the pH should never vary more than a couple of decimal places for years. Same holds for nitrates, they should never increase or something is wrong. My tanks have had the same readings for pH and nitrate every time I have tested, for more than 10 years now.
Ok! I do weekly 30% water changes and substrate cleanings and the PH has been consistent for the last 5 months! I will just take a sample of my water, I have it in the car with me now! Thank you!

I definitely recommend platys! They are so personable and are beautiful colors and shapes! If you keep the tank clean- you can do mollies instead but that is up to you!

All livebearers are so cool and do well in 10g (mollies are controversial haha but I have had a great experience with it).

You can also do a community tank of cories or tetras!
Ooooooo platys are lovely! I will have to look into those some more!!! I do love the idea of having livebearers, guppies have especially caught my eye! I also love the idea of Cories though!

Alright so we just got back from the LFS. They tested our water and the GH is 5. I didn’t ask what unit of measurement that is in, but if it helps I know they used an API GH kit. I just realized, maybe I should have asked for KH too?

You may love the idea of livebearers now, but when you have dozens, and they never stop breeding, you may change your mind ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back