Stocking a 10 gallon tank, any suggestions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I had an idea i thought I would mention, I donā€™t know a whole ton about them and would have to look into it more, but would a 10 gallon tank work for an Axolotl, if I were to upgrade to a 20 long when it needed? I would of course remove the rocks and not heavily plant the tank, just a few amazon swords. I have always loved axolotls and looked a lot into their care a while ago, before finding out they are technically illegal in VA. But at the same time, you know what else is illegal in VA? African Dwarf Frogs. I also think the law mostly applies if you are selling or exporting them or having one imported, nit really just if you have one as a pet. Thoughts? I of course would make sure it were compatible with my water parameters, but I am not really thinking it would work, just wanted to hear what people thought. I do know that they are cold water fish. My tank stays at 72 without a heater, but I have other ways I could keep it cool enough

I had an idea i thought I would mention, I donā€™t know a whole ton about them and would have to look into it more, but would a 10 gallon tank work for an Axolotl, if I were to upgrade to a 20 long when it needed? I would of course remove the rocks and not heavily plant the tank, just a few amazon swords. I have always loved axolotls and looked a lot into their care a while ago, before finding out they are technically illegal in VA. But at the same time, you know what else is illegal in VA? African Dwarf Frogs. I also think the law mostly applies if you are selling or exporting them or having one imported, nit really just if you have one as a pet. Thoughts? I of course would make sure it were compatible with my water parameters, but I am not really thinking it would work, just wanted to hear what people thought. I do know that they are cold water fish. My tank stays at 72 without a heater, but I have other ways I could keep it cool enough
I mean you could do it. But you would need a bigger tank.

A 10g could work as a temporary home, assuming the get a juvenile. They really do need upwards of 20 gallons. (A 20g long)

They also don't need any sand. If the sand particles are to big, they can be ingested and it could hurt the Ax. As long as your sand is fine (in size) you should be good. ;)

Here is a very helpful ink: Axolotl Care Sheet: Your Expert Guide to Housing, Feeding, & Breeding (modestfish.com)

Um, I'm not sure on the laws regarding that... maybe call a wildlife center and ask them?

A 10g could work as a temporary home, assuming the get a juvenile. They really do need upwards of 20 gallons. (A 20g long)

They also don't need any sand. If the sand particles are to big, they can be ingested and it could hurt the Ax. As long as your sand is fine (in size) you should be good. ;)
Thank you! My sand is basically dust, very very fine.
Um, I'm not sure on the laws regarding that... maybe call a wildlife center and ask them?
Or I could just break the law:devil:;) yeah neither do I. Something I read said you need a permit, but I donā€™t know how to get one lol

Yeah, Axolotls are expensive too, plus nowhere will ship them to a state where theyā€™re not legal, which is very responsible but grrr, and I donā€™t want to drive to NC to get one from somebody on Craigslist

Orrrrr you could just make a playdoh axolotl and put it in the tank.
Or a stuffed one...
1618740830621.jpeg

Others have provided information on axolotls, but I need to comment on the legality issue, as this is serious and there are some irresponsible suggestions being tossed around here (perhaps in jest...?).

It is easy these days for aquarists to find themselves becoming--in the view of outsiders to the hobby--lumped in with a group of individuals who are, frankly, degenerate criminals. I refer to those who "make money" out of the illegal trade of animals that in many cases are threatened if not close to extinction: the elephant ivory trade, the rhino decimation, the trade in exotic birds and reptiles that are disappearing in their habitats, etc.. We must therefore ensure we are not seen in this group, but rather as responsible human beings who care about and work for the protection of all species. There are projects in tropical areas that allow the controlled and responsible collection of ornamental fishes which provides what is a fairly good income for the indigenous peoples, while ensuring the habitat is not harmed, nor the species threatened.

Habitat destruction has taken and will continue to take a toll in many species of ornamental fishes, and some have already become officially extinct. Aquarists can ensure such species do not disappear, even if the species are only maintained in aquaria, public or private. Re-populating the habitat with a species no longer there is not usually possible, especially when the habitat itself is gone. But it is terrible to realize that we can easily lose these incredible species, some of which may not even have been discovered yet.

All of this is by way of saying that we must obey whatever environmental laws are enacted--they are there usually for good reason--and not be seen in the afore-mentioned group. In some cases, a state or federal law prohibiting species "x" may be intended to protect that species. In other cases, the law may be there to protect the local environment--irresponsible "aquarists" too often acquire this or that fish, amphibian, snail, plant, or whatever, and then lose interest and it gets dumped into the local watercourse. Sometimes, and all too often, the invader survives, decimating the local species. This has occurred in parts of the US and (I think) Europe with assassin snails wiping out the native species. We must strive to combat not only the actions of these people, but the perception we are somehow all the same. Even kidding about ignoring such laws in order to have "x" pet can have unfortunate consequences for the hobby and the fish/amphibians themselves.

as this is serious and there are some irresponsible suggestions being tossed around here (perhaps in jest...?).
All of what I said as a joke, and I assume what other said was a joke as well. :)

I would never purposely break the law, especially regarding fish.

Others have provided information on axolotls, but I need to comment on the legality issue, as this is serious and there are some irresponsible suggestions being tossed around here (perhaps in jest...?).

It is easy these days for aquarists to find themselves becoming--in the view of outsiders to the hobby--lumped in with a group of individuals who are, frankly, degenerate criminals. I refer to those who "make money" out of the illegal trade of animals that in many cases are threatened if not close to extinction: the elephant ivory trade, the rhino decimation, the trade in exotic birds and reptiles that are disappearing in their habitats, etc.. We must therefore ensure we are not seen in this group, but rather as responsible human beings who care about and work for the protection of all species. There are projects in tropical areas that allow the controlled and responsible collection of ornamental fishes which provides what is a fairly good income for the indigenous peoples, while ensuring the habitat is not harmed, nor the species threatened.

Habitat destruction has taken and will continue to take a toll in many species of ornamental fishes, and some have already become officially extinct. Aquarists can ensure such species do not disappear, even if the species are only maintained in aquaria, public or private. Re-populating the habitat with a species no longer there is not usually possible, especially when the habitat itself is gone. But it is terrible to realize that we can easily lose these incredible species, some of which may not even have been discovered yet.

All of this is by way of saying that we must obey whatever environmental laws are enacted--they are there usually for good reason--and not be seen in the afore-mentioned group. In some cases, a state or federal law prohibiting species "x" may be intended to protect that species. In other cases, the law may be there to protect the local environment--irresponsible "aquarists" too often acquire this or that fish, amphibian, snail, plant, or whatever, and then lose interest and it gets dumped into the local watercourse. Sometimes, and all too often, the invader survives, decimating the local species. This has occurred in parts of the US and (I think) Europe with assassin snails wiping out the native species. We must strive to combat not only the actions of these people, but the perception we are somehow all the same. Even kidding about ignoring such laws in order to have "x" pet can have unfortunate consequences for the hobby and the fish/amphibians themselves.
I agree. I apologize for any confusion, I was of course not being serious about breaking a law to get one! I was more so throwing the option of an axolotl out to get others opinions on if it were suitable for my tank, if I were able to obtain a permit to own what would be considered an exotic animal in our area.

When I said:
Yeah, Axolotls are expensive too, plus nowhere will ship them to a state where theyā€™re not legal, which is very responsible but grrr, and I donā€™t want to drive to NC to get one from somebody on Craigslist
I meant it assuming I were able to get a permit

and when I said:
they are technically illegal in VA. But at the same time, you know what else is illegal in VA? African Dwarf Frogs. I also think the law mostly applies if you are selling or exporting them or having one imported, nit really just if you have one as a pet. Thoughts?
I said it in the hopes someone else may know more about the law and be able to share their knowledge with me, not in any way meaning to imply I would be willing to do it against the law!

I appreciate your concern!

I agree. I apologize for any confusion, I was of course not being serious about breaking a law to get one! I was more so throwing the option of an axolotl out to get others opinions on if it were suitable for my tank, if I were able to obtain a permit to own what would be considered an exotic animal in our area.

When I said:

I meant it assuming I were able to get a permit

and when I said:

I said it in the hopes someone else may know more about the law and be able to share their knowledge with me, not in any way meaning to imply I would be willing to do it against the law!

I appreciate your concern!

Thank you for clarifying this, it is appreciated and important. One negative of any forum is that unless one really knows the individual posting, it is often not easy to "read" their thoughts behind the words. This happens here all the time. I care very much about this hobby, and the fish we keep, and I know for a fact that there are people attempting to pass laws to end it all, just because no one has the right to keep an animal in captivity. You can't discuss intelligently with such individual, its like those who deny claimate change, or evolution, or now--and this really is unbelievable--those who honestly believe the Covid 19 virus is a hoax perpetrated by...whomever. But back to my point in this present post, when I see something that is possibly a problem, I feel the need to comment, just in case. So again, thank you for setting the record straight. But I wonder how many inexperienced members may have run with the idea?

Thank you for clarifying this, it is appreciated and important. One negative of any forum is that unless one really knows the individual posting, it is often not easy to "read" their thoughts behind the words. This happens here all the time.
Personally I like using tone indicators that help me convey the tone I'm trying to use without needing to have to forcibly shape my words around the need to make it obvious that I'm joking.
For example, when I'm on this forum I like to use:
/serious
/joking
/half-joking
/sarcasm

Since I have a lot of trouble (more than most people) in picking up on tone and intention both verbally and through text, it helps out a lot. It's my hope that these tone indicators reach a larger demographic eventually, as they're very helpful to some people!

Thank you for clarifying this, it is appreciated and important. One negative of any forum is that unless one really knows the individual posting, it is often not easy to "read" their thoughts behind the words. This happens here all the time
Thank you for addressing it, I shall try to be more mindful of how my posts come across in the future! I too have a great love for the hobby and would be heartbroken to be the cause of someone thinking it alright to ignore a law, especially when it comes to fishkeeping.
You can't discuss intelligently with such individual, its like those who deny claimate change, or evolution, or now--and this really is unbelievable--those who honestly believe the Covid 19 virus is a hoax perpetrated by...whomever.
I feel that the inability to discuss topics such as climate change, global warming, Coronavirus, evolution, and other hotly debated topics with someone who does not share the same beliefs on the matter as you is not because you donā€™t both agree, personally I feel like it is because of a lack of respect for the other persons views, beliefs, and opinions. I personally do not believe in evolution. I do believe that, within a species, over time there can be changes that are passed on from parent to offspring over the course of generations which can result in a new breed or variety, such as a wild rabbit eventually over generations of selectively being bred has resulted in many breeds, such as Holland Lops, Flemish Giants, Mini Rex, Californian, and so on. BUT I do not PERSONALLY believe that, say, a rabbit over the course of millions of years evolved into a more complex life form such as a horse. But I respect the fact that some people believe that is possible. I donā€™t have to agree with someone to respect them and their beliefs

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back