Stocking a 10 gallon tank, any suggestions?

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! I sadly find myself with an empty 10 gallon tank. It has a sand substrate, some dragon stone, and by the time I am ready for more fish it will (hopefully) be between moderately and heavily planted with Amazon Sword, Water Sprite, Dwarf Sag, a variety of Ludwigia, and other plants. I am hesitant to try another betta. I also think that our water may be too hard for bettas? I am ordering a gh test kit off amazon, so I don't know the gh right now but I do know that the PH is 7.5. I was thinking maybe guppies and pygmy cories. But I want to hear what my other options may be!

If you want a species only, the Dwarf Puffers really are super cool!
There are some Rainbowfish that stay as small as 2 inches, so those could be an option.
I had a trio of Florida Flag Fish in my 10 gallon for awhile, very interesting behavior!
Endless or Guppies both have nice colors!

Thank you for all the replies! I absolutely ADORE pea puffers. I was just nervous as I had heard if you ended up with two many males they would pick on each other? I do really like the idea of pea puffers! My little sister reallyyyy wants me to get guppies. If I went with guppies, could I keep my school of 6 pygmy cories in the tank too?

Thank you for all the replies! I absolutely ADORE pea puffers. I was just nervous as I had heard if you ended up with two many males they would pick on each other? I do really like the idea of pea puffers! My little sister reallyyyy wants me to get guppies. If I went with guppies, could I keep my school of 6 pygmy cories in the tank too?
Yeah, that would work so long has the hardness isn't too high. You will want to make sure there are a LOT of places to hide, and I noticed that my pygmy cories really like leaves. In groups less than 10, they are very shy.

You may be able to, but definitely not with the puffers. (So just the guppies and corys ithe tank)

I had heard if you ended up with two many males they would pick on each other?
Just make sure you have plenty of hiding spots, and a densely planted tank. (See the “Maintenance” section in the link I provided)

Yeah, that would work so long has the hardness isn't too high. You will want to make sure there are a LOT of places to hide, and I noticed that my pygmy cories really like leaves. In groups less than 10, they are very shy.
Ok! I have 6, but I could bring the school up to 10 if that many would be alright in a 10 gallon, with maybe 6 guppies if I decided to do guppies and cories? My tank will be densely planted with some rocks with lots of cracks and holes for the fish to hide in, and I plan to buy some indian almond leaves and a driftwood branch, no matter what fish I choose
You may be able to, but definitely not with the puffers. (So just the guppies and corys ithe tank)
Oh yes, I have heard of puffers pecking all the skin off cories. If I went with puffers it would be a species only tank for sure!

Just make sure you have plenty of hiding spots, and a densely planted tank. (See the “Maintenance” section in the link I provided)
Sounds good! Thank you!

Now I just have to decide which I want to do... hmmmm. It is actually really funny, because I had thought of pea puffers! It just made me sad I couldn't have anything else in the tank, even shrimp or snails

Now I just have to decide which I want to do... hmmmm. It is actually really funny, because I had thought of pea puffers! It just made me sad I couldn't have anything else in the tank, even shrimp or snails
If you like the corys, shrimp, and snails, it seems like a no-brained to go with that mix and the guppies! (Because your sisters want you to keep them)

Don’t let us influence you. Get what you want. :fish: :thumbs:

If you like the corys, shrimp, and snails, it seems like a no-brained to go with that mix and the guppies! (Because your sisters want you to keep them)

Don’t let us influence you. Get what you want. :fish: :thumbs:
I will most likely go with guppies! I am honestly a little nervous though. I was soooo excited, back at the end of 2020, my mom let me buy some guppies off ebay as an early birthday gift. and they came as a pack of 4 tiny little baby guppy fry, and the seller included 2 extras! I raised them until they were big and beautiful (see the guppy in my little picture) around a few months and was soooo excited because they were right around the age that they should have had some fry, and then Ich was introduced to the tank and I didn't know because the quality of my light was awful, and when my new light came I could see they were all covered in ich and all 6 of them died, and NOW I am afraid to get more because I don't want to kill them:oops:

Last edited:
I will most likely go with guppies! I am honestly a little nervous though. I was soooo excited, back at the end of 2020, my mom let me buy some guppies off ebay as an early birthday gift. and they came as a pack of 4 tiny little baby guppy fry, and the seller included 2 extras! I raised them until they were big and beautiful (see the guppy in my little picture) around a few months and was soooo excited because they were right around the age that they should have had some fry, and then Ich was introduced to the tank and I didn't know because the quality of my light was awful, and when my new light came I could see they were all covered in ich and all 6 of them died, and NOW I am afraid to get more because I don't want to kill them:oops:
If you want the guppies then I think you should go for it. You now have the experience you need about guppies and if you need anything you can turn to us to help:).

You will have a better idea of options when you get the GH kit and know that parameter, as you are considering fish from quite different types of water. You may (or may not) know that with livebearers (guppies, or perhaps Endlers as someone mentioned, another colourful fish) having only males will eliminate the chance of endless fry.

You will have a better idea of options when you get the GH kit and know that parameter, as you are considering fish from quite different types of water. You may (or may not) know that with livebearers (guppies, or perhaps Endlers as someone mentioned, another colourful fish) having only males will eliminate the chance of endless fry.
Yes, I will wait until I know the gh to make a final decision on stock, I am just trying to get an idea of what my options are! I do think our water is on the harder side, so guppies would be better, but we will see! I plan to buy a pack of fry off ebay, if I do guppies, and my LFS will take any females or unwanted fry!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back