FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Corydoras_Catwoman

Reaction score
I will be getting my new 60 gallon Aquarium (230L) in the next couple of months, and i'm speculating on stocking. I'm moving the fish from my 20 gallon community to the 60, as i don't have room for both tanks...so I'm relatively restricted on what I can have.

The stocking currently:
2 honey Gourami (m/f)
6 Guppies
6 Glowlight Tetras
6 Corydoras Julii
2 German Rams
2 Nerite Snails

the fish i am toying with adding to the tank:
Reticulated Hillstream Loaches
Pearl Gourami
Britslenose Pleco
Yellow Rabbit Snails
Apistogramma Cacatuoides
Rainbow Cichlids (I know these are hard to find but I REALLY want them!)

Obviously i don't want ALL of these fish together, but i just wanted some advice on which of these fish are the best for my tank...and just FYI, if you could suggest any other peaceful, medium to large oddball fish i would REALLY appreciate it. I have two LFS near me, and they can order fish in for me.

Current water parameters
Temperature will be 24-26 (75-78F)
PH- 7.2
Nitrite/Nitrate 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
KH 7.5
GH 8.0

Thanks!

If space is a limitation, how about getting a double tier stand?
You have one tank on top and one tank below. You can also have a couple of smaller tanks underneath the bigger one. It takes up the same space as one tank, but you get more than one. :)

--------------------------
Pearl gouramis will cause problems to the honey gouramis.
Apistogramma cacatuoides might fight with the rams, but it depends on the length and width of the tank, plus what plants and ornaments you have in there.
No idea what a rainbow cichlid is, can you provide a scientific name for it?
You should get more glowlight tetras and have at least 10, preferably 20+.

Your guppies need hard water and would do better in slightly harder water (GH around 200ppm for guppies platies, swordtails). You could have a double tier stand with the soft water fishes in the big tank and the guppies in the smaller tank under the big tank.

You could possibly add a group of Melanotaenia praecox rainbowfish. They would contrast well with the fish you have and won't get too big. If you add big fish you could lose the tetras to predation.

Iriatherina werneri would go well in that tank but they are small and not brightly coloured. The males do look good when showing off.

The following link has information on rainbowfishes.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Isn't it fun to get excited about new fish ? If you're like me you'll have a few more ideas yet. You know what ? Get the tank and put your current fish in it and wait a week or two. Let things settle down, watch the fish and the new fish you want will come right to mind. Yes indeed, this is one of the fun parts.

Hi everyone! thanks so much for the replies. After a lot of procrastination, and going back and forth between ideas, I've decided to rehome my Guppies and Glowlight tetras in order to make space for larger fish and ensure they do not get eaten. I'm very sad to see them go but am looking forward to this new start. The tank is approx. 240L (63 Gallons) the tank measurements are 121cm x 41 x 55 (47"x16"x21") Its a Juwel Rio with the accompanying filter/heater, although i also have a hang-on-back filter on standby incase i need more filtration for certain species. (i know cichlids like their water super clean) here's the new plan.

2 Honey Gourami
2-4 german rams
8 corydoras julii (or up to 12?)
2 Pictus catfish (the small 5" variety)
1 bristlenose Pleco
2 Firemouth cichlids (thorichthys meeki)
The fire mouths i am still toying with as i know they have a reputation with some keepers. I thought about perhaps getting 1 Firemouth and another Cichlid species

If you recommend any other large cichlids or oddballs please let me know! Thanks!

If space is a limitation, how about getting a double tier stand?
You have one tank on top and one tank below. You can also have a couple of smaller tanks underneath the bigger one. It takes up the same space as one tank, but you get more than one. :)

--------------------------
Pearl gouramis will cause problems to the honey gouramis.
Apistogramma cacatuoides might fight with the rams, but it depends on the length and width of the tank, plus what plants and ornaments you have in there.
No idea what a rainbow cichlid is, can you provide a scientific name for it?
You should get more glowlight tetras and have at least 10, preferably 20+.

Your guppies need hard water and would do better in slightly harder water (GH around 200ppm for guppies platies, swordtails). You could have a double tier stand with the soft water fishes in the big tank and the guppies in the smaller tank under the big tank.

You could possibly add a group of Melanotaenia praecox rainbowfish. They would contrast well with the fish you have and won't get too big. If you add big fish you could lose the tetras to predation.

Iriatherina werneri would go well in that tank but they are small and not brightly coloured. The males do look good when showing off.

The following link has information on rainbowfishes.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Honestly dude, you're a bit of a legend on these forums, so i'm happy to listen to any advice you have. If you say it won't work, or recommend something, i'll definitely listen!

The firemouth cichlids will kill the rams.
I wouldn't recommend big cichlids with rams because the rams will get bashed. If you want bigger cichlids (4-5 inch fish), then get rid of the rams, Cories and honey gouramis and keep cichlids, big tetras, big barbs, or big rainbowfish.

There is no such thing as a 5 inch pictus. All pictus catfish can reach 8 inches plus. They also need to be kept in groups of 4 or more.

Okay. That's VERY different advice i received from my two LFS, need to go procrastinate again!

what did the pet shops say?
you can keep pictus on their own and they only grow to 4 or 5 inches?
and firemouths and blue acaras are fine with rams?

what did the pet shops say?
you can keep pictus on their own and they only grow to 4 or 5 inches?
and firemouths and blue acaras are fine with rams?
Hi. The Fish shops said that Firemouths should be fine, but i should get rid of the tetras and guppies as they'll get eaten. Since the minimum tank size for fire mouths is 30 gallons they thought a 63 gallon would have no problems whatsoever. They also suggested maybe a group of geophagus tapajos instead, although potentially not with the cory cats. They said the pictus catfish wouldn't get any larger than 5.5" and they could live easily in a pair or trio in the tank.

The pictus comment is pretty typical of petshops. They would rather you buy 1 or 2 pictus than a group of 6-8. Most customers walk away when they see the price of pictus and multiply it by 6 fish. It's much easier to sell you 1 or 2 for x dollars, than 10 fish for x dollars :)

Firemouths will end up double the size of the rams and if the male firemouth says this tank is his, the rams won't stand a chance. However, a group of small Geophagus and a pr of firemouths might work.

What are the tank dimensions (Length x width x height)?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back