• Probally ok with good maitenence routine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would need more info

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JasonR

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have had various fish tank setups over the years & was looking for a few opinions on the stocking of my Juwel 125L tank.

After finding the tank in my loft and excitedly deciding to set one up again, my first thought was that I hated maintaining the huge internal filter that come with the tank and didn't like the amount of space it took up, so I removed that and installed a 1000L an hour external cannister filter with a pre filter set up with sponges before it enters the main cannister.

I used play sand for the substrate which actually has worked a dream! The Kribensis love it & brought nutrition capsules to bury under the plants, I've found some amazing bogwood and planted Amazon Swords, 4 Java ferns, a large leafy plant (don't know the name) and a coconut cave with a plant on top for the Kribs.

I waited 2 months before introducing the stock, feeding with startup and fish food and slowly introduced the fish to prevent a big Nitrate spike.

I was told that I've overstocked the tank, but in general the fish all seem fine, aren't bothering eachother and seem to have plenty of space - This is my current stock:

3 juvenile angelfish
6 corydoras
2 Kribensis (paired already!)
20 Neon tetras (stay close together in a shoal)
2 small plecs - clown plec (stay quite small) and a bristlenose plec

In terms of maitenence I'm doing 30-40% a week changes and will clean the filters once a month.

What are your thoughts - I can send pics later if you'd like to see the tank as I'm really proud of it.

If you've read all of this please let me know what you think or alteast vote on the poll for me :D

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Please post pictures so we can all look at the tank :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Please post pictures so we can all look at the tank :)

Thanks for your reply Colin here are the dimensions:

Aquarium size: 81 x 36 x 50cm / 31.9" x 14.2" x 19.7"

On the latest report for my area by the water company it says the total hardness is 372.5 mg/l which I believe is very hard. I believe the PH is around 7.5 from the tests I've done.

Thanks,

372mg/l is 372ppm of GH and that is hard water.

All the fish you keep naturally occur in soft acid water and keeping them in hard water is not really the best for them. If you diluted your water 50/50 with distilled or reverse osmosis (R/O) water, it would be better for your fish.

You might have problems with the angelfish when they mature. You should watch them and if they start fighting, they will need to be separated.

372mg/l is 372ppm of GH and that is hard water.

All the fish you keep naturally occur in soft acid water and keeping them in hard water is not really the best for them. If you diluted your water 50/50 with distilled or reverse osmosis (R/O) water, it would be better for your fish.

You might have problems with the angelfish when they mature. You should watch them and if they start fighting, they will need to be separated.

Thanks I appreciate your advice!

I used to have an RO system installed, I'll look in to getting another one as this is something I've been considering for a while, both for my tank and for me to drink too!

I understand that I'll need to keep a close eye on the angels as they grow though.

Apart from that would you say the tank is overstocked in your opinion? Or is it okay with good maintenance?

Thanks again!

I understand that I'll need to keep a close eye on the angels as they grow though.
Aside from the hardness that would be my biggest concern. 3 won't work in that size tank. Best case is 2 of them pair up and one doesn't make it. Worst case is only one will survive. As they grow you should also be aware that neons are angelfish food.

Apart from that would you say the tank is overstocked in your opinion? Or is it okay with good maintenance?
While the angels are young it is not too bad, but when they mature it will be.

I would remove the three angelfish now while they are still new. This will be kinder and easier on them, rather than waiting until something happens when it will be too late and they will suffer. One always has to think ahead, as fish develop as they continually grow. But three angelfish, unless you have all females, is inevitably a recipe for trouble, and even all females may not save things.

Thanks for all your responses, 2 of the angelfish are quite happy swimming next to eachother, they seem to not like one of them though already so what i'll do is take that one out and return it to the LFS.

I'm also going to look in to an RO system to turn the tank in to a 50 RO / 50 Tap water tank.

In terms of stock this will leave me with;

2 angelfish
6 corydoras
2 Kribensis (paired already!)
20 Neon tetras
2 small plecs - clown plec (stay quite small) and a bristlenose plec

I'll post some pics on the tank soon!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back