Stocking 125 Gallons Freshwater Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Abu-Talha

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum, I had been using another fish form for discussions, suggestions, and ideas. I was searching about stocking ideas for my existing 125 gallons tank (60" x 30" x 18") and I found this forum very active and full of useful information. So here I am :) I need suggestions on stocking my existing 125 gallons tank ( I write existing because I am in process of building another 125 gallons planted tank for Discus). Current stock of my tank is:

12 Silver Dollars (Juvenile: about 1" in size)
12 Tiger Barbs (Juvenile: about 1/2" in size)
12 Bala Sharks (Juvenile: about 2-1/2" in size)
04 Naja Sharks (Juvenile: about 1-1/2" in size)
02 Common Pleco (Juvenile: about 2-1/2" in size)
04 Red Blood Parrots (Juvenile: about 2-1/2" in size)
03 short body green texas cichlid (about 2-1/2" in size)

I want to remove common pleco and put 12 clown loaches, also juvenils about 2" in size. I know I will not be able to keep all these fish in my tank once they are adults but it will be in 2 - 3 or more years, untill then I can enjoy all these in my tank :) Once fish will start out growing my tank, I will reduce their quantity to may be half. When even half quantity would not be able to live in my tank happily (like Bala Sharks, Naja Sharks and Clown Loaches) I will trade in my fish from local fish store, what I just did for my 6 red blood parrots about 8" in size and 4 Albino Oscars also about 8". So what do you all suggest? Should I remove Common Pleco and put in 12 Clown Loaches? I am in love in baby clown loaches!!! Any other suggestion / recommendation for addition or subtraction is highly welcommed. Thanks in advance.

Abu-Talha said:
Any other suggestion / recommendation for addition or subtraction is highly welcommed. Thanks in advance.

For starters,I would be removing over 3/4 of your current stock. Even as juveniles that "fit" in the tank, it does not mean they are compatible with the tank and they would need massive amounts of care in the hands of professionals in a stocking situation like this (such as bi-weekly water changes to control growth hormones that are released in the tank, nitrate levels, etc.)

On another note, what is your water change schedule? How often do you test your water parameters? What are your current water parameters?

@Goggy: Thnaks buddy
good.gif

@BiggTexx: I am no expert or professional fish keeper, neither I am too new in the hobby. I have kept african and new world cichlids successfully for about couple of years and recently changed my livestock. I was successful in breeding cichlids as well, although its not a difficult task. I have three tanks at my place, one 125G, another 75G and one small medical tank. I am in process of setting up a new 125G plantted tank for Discuss. I change 30 - 50% water of my tanks weekly, I do keep close eye on water parameters, I cycled my tanks carefully and do maintain good water parameters. For any agression in the tank, I have separate tank (medical tank) in which I transfer bad boys for a week or so and from my experience I have learnt that fish do understand they got punished for bullying and they stop bullying after punishment :) So what do you recommend now?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back