FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Funkyfishgorl

Reaction score
Hi, I have a planted tank thatā€™s in the process of cycling so while I wait Iā€™d like to know how many of each type of fish I can have in my aquarium. Please let me know how to adjust my numbers so that everyone has room and the bioload isnā€™t exceeded. I have the tetra ā€˜starter lineā€™ 105L/27 gallon and will be adding a double head sponge filter from my old tank when I move the Guppies over. If anyone can recommend more filtration Iā€™d appreciate it as Iā€™m looking into adding another filter. My dimensions are H48.6cm W78cm D37.5cm.
My list so far:
8 Corydoras (albino)
8 Otocinclus
6 Guppies (female)
4 African Dwarf frogs
Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a planted tank thatā€™s in the process of cycling so while I wait Iā€™d like to know how many of each type of fish I can have in my aquarium. Please let me know how to adjust my numbers so that everyone has room and the bioload isnā€™t exceeded. I have the tetra ā€˜starter lineā€™ 105L/27 gallon and will be adding a double head sponge filter from my old tank when I move the Guppies over. If anyone can recommend more filtration Iā€™d appreciate it as Iā€™m looking into adding another filter. My dimensions are H48.6cm W78cm D37.5cm.
My list so far:
8 Corydoras (albino)
8 Otocinclus
6 Guppies (female)
4 African Dwarf frogs
Thank you in advance for any help and advice!
I have a much smaller tank and a moderator had informed me that African Dwarf Frogs have very poor vision and rely on smell, so it may be a competition for them to get food, and may lead to over feeding. Also most of the species listed, other then guppies will dwell low in your tank and personally I would like an even spread at any given level of the tank, but itā€™s all about personal preference.

What is your water hardness? Guppies need hard water and the other species you mention need soft water. If you post the number and unit someone can advise. Its best to meet each species' specific requirements to avoid health issues.

As already stated ADF and fishshould not be kept together.

I concur with both members' posts. Frogs and fish do not work. And knowing your water parameters will help us help you; check the website of your water authority, theese may be posted if you do not already know the GH (general hardness) and pH.

Leaving the parameters for the moment, 8 cories will be good in this sized tank. The otocinclus though...do you want these because you like the species, or because someone said they dealt with algae? I ask because 8 is a lot of otos and natural algae is not likely to supply their food needs and this can be crucial upon acquisition as they arrive in stores nearly starved and will only eat common algae or diatoms until they get settled.

What is your water hardness? Guppies need hard water and the other species you mention need soft water. If you post the number and unit someone can advise. Its best to meet each species' specific requirements to avoid health issues.

Thank you for your reply. I didnā€™t realise they were so mismatched and will be thinking about keeping Guppies/ADF in different tanks in the future. If I exclude those two from my tank would you have any advice on numbers? Thanks again.

I concur with both members' posts. Frogs and fish do not work. And knowing your water parameters will help us help you; check the website of your water authority, theese may be posted if you do not already know the GH (general hardness) and pH.

Leaving the parameters for the moment, 8 cories will be good in this sized tank. The otocinclus though...do you want these because you like the species, or because someone said they dealt with algae? I ask because 8 is a lot of otos and natural algae is not likely to supply their food needs and this can be crucial upon acquisition as they arrive in stores nearly starved and will only eat common algae or diatoms until they get settled.
T
Thank you for your reply. Iā€™m only a week into my cycling process so I expect the results to change until theyā€™re ideal and I will be doing tests when I return home as Iā€™m away for the weekend.
I love the species and know that they like huge groups so thought it best to get as many as possible, however I completely agree that especially with this species starvation is an issue. Is there perhaps a smaller number that the tank could sustain? Itā€™s also in a very bright spot so I expect a good amount but obviously if my tank doesnā€™t naturally have lots of algae I wonā€™t consider this species.
I will not be adding frogs or guppies as Iā€™ve learnt it wonā€™t work with my water parameters.

Thank you for your reply. Iā€™m only a week into my cycling process so I expect the results to change until theyā€™re ideal and I will be doing tests when I return home as Iā€™m away for the weekend.
I love the species and know that they like huge groups so thought it best to get as many as possible, however I completely agree that especially with this species starvation is an issue. Is there perhaps a smaller number that the tank could sustain? Itā€™s also in a very bright spot so I expect a good amount but obviously if my tank doesnā€™t naturally have lots of algae I wonā€™t consider this species.
I will not be adding frogs or guppies as Iā€™ve learnt it wonā€™t work with my water parameters.

I would hold off on the otocinclus until the tank is established and the other fish are settled. Common algae on surfaces will appear (often you cannot even see this, it is part of the natural bio-film that coats all submersed surfaces). If you do then decide on otos, because you like the species, I would tend to get 5. Otocinclus is a shoaling species, but this plays out a bit differently in the aquarium than does most shoaling species. If they have natural algae initially, they usually quickly learn to feed from sinking algae-based wafers.

I have a much smaller tank and a moderator had informed me that African Dwarf Frogs have very poor vision and rely on smell, so it may be a competition for them to get food, and may lead to over feeding. Also most of the species listed, other then guppies will dwell low in your tank and personally I would like an even spread at any given level of the tank, but itā€™s all about personal preference.
Thank you for your advice, I think guppies and ADF arenā€™t a good idea from what Iā€™ve learnt.

I would hold off on the otocinclus until the tank is established and the other fish are settled. Common algae on surfaces will appear (often you cannot even see this, it is part of the natural bio-film that coats all submersed surfaces). If you do then decide on otos, because you like the species, I would tend to get 5. Otocinclus is a shoaling species, but this plays out a bit differently in the aquarium than does most shoaling species. If they have natural algae initially, they usually quickly learn to feed from sinking algae-based wafers.
Thank you thatā€™s a great idea and hopefully Iā€™ll have enough algae growing soon for 5. How many Corydoras could I get in this case then? There would be just them with 5 otos added last if circumstances are right. Thank you again!

Thank you thatā€™s a great idea and hopefully Iā€™ll have enough algae growing soon for 5. How many Corydoras could I get in this case then? There would be just them with 5 otos added last if circumstances are right. Thank you again!

You can mix species or stay with the one (cory). The tank dimensions are 76 x 48 x 37 cm according to the site, which includes the hood in the height, so a group of 9 to 12 would be fine. With cories I would go with more rather than less, these are very social fish and are always more settled the more there are of them, regardless of species. They need a sand substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back