Stock this thing...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alex.j.staples

Reaction score
I'm new to the hobby. I've had this tank set up for about 2 months. It's a 30g. I run a fluval aquaclear 50. I have 4 Buenos Aires Tetra (I know I should have at least 6) , and a couple ghost shrimp. I really want to add some colorful fish to it. It's for my kids, so the Tetra are kinda boring looking lol. My pH runs in the 7.4-7.6 range, and I keep it at 78° no airstone.. I know it's an open question, but Im looking for suggestions on stocking. I'd like cleaners, a couple schools, and a set of focal (center piece) fish. Looking forward to input. [emoji225][emoji225][emoji226]
ccd6449dc4de062261a72a7afbd65244.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Beunos Aires tetras are renown fin nippers and cannot be kept with slow moving fish or fish with long fins. This will limit what other fish you can keep.

If you can tell us the tank dimensions (length x width x height) and the general hardness (GH) of your water, it will give us more information and we can provide you with suggestions that are suited to your specific tank.

You can contact your water company (via telephone or website) to find the GH or take a glass full of tank water to the local pet shop and ask them to test it for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test and post them here.

Last edited:
Would like to chime in that this tank looks Identical to my 29 gallon high tank, also sometimes sold as 30 gallons, very common size in the U.S. Dimensions of my tank are about 30" long by 18" high by 12" wide.

Also, it looks from the picture like your tetras are feeling too exposed in your current design, and would appreciate more cover.
More cover and greater numbers helps make shy fish more outgoing, And increasing the number of fish in a school can greatly reduce nipping, even with fish that have a reputation as fin nippers.
EDIT : also agree with above post That knowing your hardness will be helpful with letting us know what fish would like your water. Fortunately, with your current ph the hardness likely is within the comfort zone of Buenos Aeres Tetras, which are pretty adaptable compared to some other tetras.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back