stock my 55 gallon for me

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

phildo5

Reaction score
hello, hows it going? appreciate the help. so my 55 gallon tank is about cycled and i will move my 2 Electric Blue Acaras from another tank to the 55 gallon. my questions were what should i stock along with those rad bad boys? i have some ideas, but would like to know yall ideas on the numbers.. I wanted to add angel fish, lemon tetras, rummy nose tetras, sterba or panda corys..or even a BN pleco. i have 3 filters in this tank, a HOB, standard sponge, and a bio sponge filter.

so do you think the following would work?
-2 Electric blue acaras
-2 Angel Fish
-8 lemon tetra
-8 rummy nose
-6 sterba or 6 panda corys
and probably a few nerite snails

will this adequately stocked? about right? or overstocked or understocked?

any ideas? lets say you

As you are in the USA, I will assume your 55g is the standard 4-foot long tank. This is minimal for a pair of acara, so OK there. But the other fish are problematic.

Angelfish will not work here; they can be housed in a group (much larger tank), or if a bonded pair in a 55g but without the acara. Neotropical cichlids in general should not be combined; there are a few exceptions, but this is not one of them especially in a 4-foot tank.

As for the smaller fish, rummynose are likely to be targeted as food. The Lemons may have the same issue. Larger-sized characins could probably work with the acara pair, but difficult to say since we do not know the size or how long they have been together. Their behaviours may have been cemented during their time together in the smaller (presumably) tank, and that can make quite a difference. Shoaling fish like tetras are usually only available as very small juveniles, and even larger sized species are likely to become food.

Cories should manage, as their defensive spines and toxins prevent them from being eaten by many fish; if the species evolves in an habitat that includes cories, this "knowledge" may be known. Keep the temperature in the 24-25C (75-77F) range for the cories, and this is OK for the acara.

As you are in the USA, I will assume your 55g is the standard 4-foot long tank. This is minimal for a pair of acara, so OK there. But the other fish are problematic.

Angelfish will not work here; they can be housed in a group (much larger tank), or if a bonded pair in a 55g but without the acara. Neotropical cichlids in general should not be combined; there are a few exceptions, but this is not one of them especially in a 4-foot tank.

As for the smaller fish, rummynose are likely to be targeted as food. The Lemons may have the same issue. Larger-sized characins could probably work with the acara pair, but difficult to say since we do not know the size or how long they have been together. Their behaviours may have been cemented during their time together in the smaller (presumably) tank, and that can make quite a difference. Shoaling fish like tetras are usually only available as very small juveniles, and even larger sized species are likely to become food.

Cories should manage, as their defensive spines and toxins prevent them from being eaten by many fish; if the species evolves in an habitat that includes cories, this "knowledge" may be known. Keep the temperature in the 24-25C (75-77F) range for the cories, and this is OK for the acara.
thanks for detailing that out. yes its a standard usa 55 gallon tank. and my EBAs are small right now with one being 2 inches and other is relatively new at about 1 inch if that and theyre housed in an established 29 gallon tank waiting for the 55 to cycle and then establish. i really like schooling fish in my community tanks and wanted to dabble in some tetras in the 55 so ill get back into research mode. i thought it could all work out, i did question the Angels though as i got various takes. do you have a suggestion to what i could stock? i guess i could get golden barbs or rainbows as the schooling. or even keep it strictly EBA only and add a few more. i could rehome some Bolivians from another tank into that one as well.

Hi! Not sure how aggressive your pair is (or if it is a bonded pair at all) but I would think bloodfin tetras could go well. I would try to get 8 Cories, in my mind it is a better number for their school, if you have the tank space (which I think you would). I am not very familiar with rummynose or lemon Tetras

thanks for detailing that out. yes its a standard usa 55 gallon tank. and my EBAs are small right now with one being 2 inches and other is relatively new at about 1 inch if that and theyre housed in an established 29 gallon tank waiting for the 55 to cycle and then establish. i really like schooling fish in my community tanks and wanted to dabble in some tetras in the 55 so ill get back into research mode. i thought it could all work out, i did question the Angels though as i got various takes. do you have a suggestion to what i could stock? i guess i could get golden barbs or rainbows as the schooling. or even keep it strictly EBA only and add a few more. i could rehome some Bolivians from another tank into that one as well.

The 55g is sufficient space for the pair of acara, but no more than the pair (so far as acara are concerned). They will grow.

As the acara are still small, setting up the 55g with the "dither" fish before adding them in is advisable. As for suitable shoaling fish...you want quiet less active swimmers around sedate cichlids, so that rules out the basic danios and many of the barbs. Medium-sized characins--the Bleeding Heart Tetra, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, comes to mind as a likely candidate. A group of 12-15, up to 20. This species also has the benefit of remaining roughly mid-water in the tank, unlike many of the other species in this clade which are lower-water fish thus impacting the cichlids more. There are other similar species, just be sure to avoid any even remotely prone to fin nip.

Surface-area fish could include the larger species of hatchetfish, such as Gasteropelecus sternicla, or the very impressive Platinum Hatchet Thorocharax stellatus; the latter really is stunning, and quite interactive among hatchetfishes. A group of 12-15 of whichever species. Floating plants a must, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta), Amazon Frogbit, or Water |Lettuce would be ideal. The cichlids would appreciate this too, as it shades the overhead light, and this always brings out better colours.

Corydoras as earlier mentioned should be fine. 15-20 of the same species or mixed species; if mixed, try to have a few of each species, 3-5, seems to work best. Loricariids, such as one of the Whiptail Catfish, singly or in a small group.

The 55g is sufficient space for the pair of acara, but no more than the pair (so far as acara are concerned). They will grow.

As the acara are still small, setting up the 55g with the "dither" fish before adding them in is advisable. As for suitable shoaling fish...you want quiet less active swimmers around sedate cichlids, so that rules out the basic danios and many of the barbs. Medium-sized characins--the Bleeding Heart Tetra, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, comes to mind as a likely candidate. A group of 12-15, up to 20. This species also has the benefit of remaining roughly mid-water in the tank, unlike many of the other species in this clade which are lower-water fish thus impacting the cichlids more. There are other similar species, just be sure to avoid any even remotely prone to fin nip.

Surface-area fish could include the larger species of hatchetfish, such as Gasteropelecus sternicla, or the very impressive Platinum Hatchet Thorocharax stellatus; the latter really is stunning, and quite interactive among hatchetfishes. A group of 12-15 of whichever species. Floating plants a must, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta), Amazon Frogbit, or Water |Lettuce would be ideal. The cichlids would appreciate this too, as it shades the overhead light, and this always brings out better colours.

Corydoras as earlier mentioned should be fine. 15-20 of the same species or mixed species; if mixed, try to have a few of each species, 3-5, seems to work best. Loricariids, such as one of the Whiptail Catfish, singly or in a small group.
i really appreciate you taking the time to reply. you really gave me a great plan for my 55 as ive never owned any of these fish you mentioned...i think im going follow as you clearly know more in your pinky then i do in my whole body. so to recap you think i can house my 2 EBAs (currently in the 29 gallon fishin around), 15 bleeding heart tetras, 15 hatchetfish, and 15 assorted corys with no bioload issues? thank you Byron

i really appreciate you taking the time to reply. you really gave me a great plan for my 55 as ive never owned any of these fish you mentioned...i think im going follow as you clearly know more in your pinky then i do in my whole body. so to recap you think i can house my 2 EBAs (currently in the 29 gallon fishin around), 15 bleeding heart tetras, 15 hatchetfish, and 15 assorted corys with no bioload issues? thank you Byron

Thank you for the kind words. I see no issue with the numbers, provided maintenance is regular. I would also get some floating plants (with or without lower plants, depending upon the aquascape design), it really is remarkable how beneficial the floaters are in any fish tank. Weekly partial water change of 60-70% (assuming parameters of tank water and tap water are reasonably the same in GH, pH and temp).

Larger groups of shoaling species always work better, which means less stress leading to other issues.

Thank you for the kind words. I see no issue with the numbers, provided maintenance is regular. I would also get some floating plants (with or without lower plants, depending upon the aquascape design), it really is remarkable how beneficial the floaters are in any fish tank. Weekly partial water change of 60-70% (assuming parameters of tank water and tap water are reasonably the same in GH, pH and temp).

Larger groups of shoaling species always work better, which means less stress leading to other issues.
okay cool i really appreciate it. and yeah ill definitely get some floating plants as i always get my plants online from a reputable online source. thank you so much. ill attach a photo of this tank as its all set up inside, but i will be adding floating plants... i do have borderline moderately hard water almost hard water, so I think the water lettuce will be best option?

Attachments

• 55 gallon.jpeg
    55 gallon.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 89
okay cool i really appreciate it. and yeah ill definitely get some floating plants as i always get my plants online from a reputable online source. thank you so much. ill attach a photo of this tank as its all set up inside, but i will be adding floating plants... i do have borderline moderately hard water almost hard water, so I think the water lettuce will be best option?

Plants are not as fussy over GH as fish. Water Lettuce, Water Sprite, and Frogbit are all good substantial floating plants. Some stem plants do well left floating, Pennywort is good for this.

Plants are not as fussy over GH as fish. Water Lettuce, Water Sprite, and Frogbit are all good substantial floating plants. Some stem plants do well left floating, Pennywort is good for this.
Okay sweet! if thats the case then frogbit and pennywort it is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back