Stirring The Sand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

And if you look, what really caused the problem there? Stirring the sand. If the sand had not been stirred the large bubbles would not have been released.

We also cannot be sure what killed the otos. The gas bubbles would not have been in the water column long enough to have any meaningful gas exchange across the surface. That small amount is likely to be oygenated very quickly (think seconds). Many smaller bubbles will be worse than larger ones as there will be an increased surface area:volume ratio.

It is perfectly possible that something entirely unrelated was the cause of the death of the otos.

I say again, if there really was any appreciable risk, you would hear of far more cases of fish dying.

So are you guys tryin to say that its better to NOT stir?

Basically, i should chase the fish away even when im stirrin the front?

What about the cories? what if they are digging one day and releases one of the bubbles and hits it?

The corries will regularly stir the substrate, so it will remain well turned over. Also, the first inch or so of sand has some oxygen present, so will not lead to anaerobic pockets forming.

To stir or not to stir is really one of individual choice. I am just too lazy to do anything I can't see a direct need for in my tanks, so I don't bother.

I'm trying to say that something should stir. Whether it be you or mts snails or some other burrowing critter. Even if the anaerobic gases are completely harmless how would you like it if your girl/boyfriend came over for the first date and you were showing him/her your tank when a nice big anaerobic gas bubble burst through the substrate. Suddenly your room is filled with rotten egg stink.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back