Still trying to get it right

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aroc2226

Reaction score
Something is still wrong in my tank and I’m not sure what to do.

I’ve tried to slowly add fish until I feel things are right.

Bottom feeders seem to be doing well. Kuhli’s and Bristle Nose are growing and doing a great job.

I lost a Betta after about three weeks. No real symptoms except maybe spending more time in bottom of tank a day before.

I added three Lyre Tail Mollies. I’ve talked about this on a previous thread. Water hardness was brought up.

About three weeks later I started seeing issues. Just not right. One was even spinning on its axis…

I gave them some API General Cure as directed.

I thought things were getting better until the other day when I noticed one spinning again. She was dead 24 hours later. Yesterday was the second victim.

Right now I have one left. I’ve looked up diseases but I don’t see anything that matches these symptoms.

I have tested the water. PH is 7. Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia levels are good. I do have a Shark 600 filter along with live plants.

Can water hardness issues cause Molly’s to do this? If so is it too late to add salt?

Any other thoughts.

Just getting back in the hobby and not off to a good start.

Thanks in advance

Some one will ask anyway so might as well be me. ;) You say the water parameters are OK but you sould always put up actual numbers. This MAY help others help you. Pictures could also help.

Water hardness was brought up
What exactly did you do? And how hard is it now?

The trouble is that kuhlis need water a lot softer than mollies; there is no happy medium. The pH of 7 suggests the water is still too low for mollies. If you intend 'hardening' water, you need a GH tester to see if you have reached the target level.

This may not have caused the problems with the mollies, but if hardness is too low it would make whatever is wrong worse.

I will have to locate my water hardness results.

I tested the others using API’s kit and although I can’t give you exact numbers a were virtually 0….the ammonia level might have been slightly elevated to .25 but I believe my water is in good shape.

I sounds like it all comes down to hardness.

Water hardness is almost never an issue, unless it's extremely soft, despite what many will say. If you have any ammonia AT ALL, your filtration still isn't right -- though I don't think that's your problem. It's more likely you've introduced a disease since you've been adding fish. Did you quarantine? It's also possible you're simply experiencing a bad roll of the dice. Genetics play a role in health and longevity, not just environment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back